Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Anyone in the Abingdon Oxford Area??

(9 Posts)
Shoshe Sun 24-Aug-08 07:40:03

After all our plans to go to Scotland, when DH leaves the Army,and to give up CMing, DH has just been offered a job, just outside Abingdon, so trying to find out what work for CMs is like, and also what the area is like.

Not sure if he will take the job, House prices are very high, but want to do some research.

Shoshe Sun 24-Aug-08 08:42:30

bump

twinklytoes Sun 24-Aug-08 09:45:48

a lot of my colleagues commute from abingdon and use cms. i know one found it really difficult to find a cm about 18mths ago now. she found one on her estate (ladygrove) and then cm gave notice as going back to work because not enough work. friend only wanted 2 days a week. friend ended up finding a cm in a village and have an extra long commute.

abingdon is lovely, schools are very good apparently but as you say its expensive housing. sorry, don't know the town well enough to even say where is cheaper.

post in mn local - oxford. there are a few more mums from that end of the county that might be better help.

Shoshe Sun 24-Aug-08 14:54:40

Thanks TT will try Mn local.

mumlove Sun 24-Aug-08 15:00:08

What about seaching on childcare link and emailing cm's in the area? Saying you might be moving there, they can only say 'no' they don't want to let you have any info.

Shoshe Sun 24-Aug-08 15:11:56

i have looked on CIS ML, it might not come off, or even if it does, might well go back into the work force anyway, its all very exciting as its NOT what we planned at all grin

ThePrisoner Mon 25-Aug-08 16:00:11

Ooooer ... Shoshe ... you'll be in my neck of the woods and I won't be able to be anonymous any more!!!

Shoshe Mon 25-Aug-08 17:43:41

Really TP, oh that would be fab!

MrsBadger Mon 25-Aug-08 18:09:44

Area is nice, primary schools generally good to excellent, secondaries less so atm.

Town is a strange dichotomy of suburban estates and expensive period enclaves, surrounded by even more expensive villages.

Property prices are skewed by Oxford and London commuters and by the hugely popular private schools (Abingdon for boys, St Helen & St Katharine and the convent for girls).

Everyone I know who looked for a CM there had awful trouble, but I don;t know if that was trouble finding one at all or just trouble finding one they liked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now