Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Do all mums look for registered childminders?

(15 Posts)
PurplePearl Thu 17-Feb-05 15:23:38

Just wondering if it will be possible for me to get after school care work without being a registered childminder?

sanchpanch Thu 17-Feb-05 15:48:56

my neighbour used to look after children from her daughters school after school, idont think you need to be registered, I think its when it is very young children, i have thought about it its a good way to get extra cash!!

pedilia Thu 17-Feb-05 15:49:38

i know people that employ full/part time non-qualified people to care for there children, however I think the majority prefer registered, I know I would.

motherinferior Thu 17-Feb-05 15:50:47

I think it's highly unlikely these days. Registration isn't difficult and AFAIK if you were childminding without registration you'd be breaking the law.

Uwila Thu 17-Feb-05 16:14:09

You can not work in your own home as a childminder without being registered. You can however work as someone's employee without any registration. You could even do part-time nanny share without registration. But, if you work in your own home and take kids from 3 or 4 different families, you would be viewed as a childminder.

How much do you want to earn? If it is say less than £100/week, I think taxes are pretty minimal in terms of being an employee. That might be a solution for you.

Fran1 Thu 17-Feb-05 16:50:22

You should be registered and i think people would be mad to trust anyone who wasn't registered unless they are friends or family.

Being registered means you have a criminal record check, and also ensures you have ofsted inspecting to ensure you are not abusing children or causing neglect.

I am sure you will be doing none of the above, but i still would not want to trust someone who isn't registered.

Its a simple process and you may also gain from it (when i registered a couple of years ago they gave out grants to help buy toys etc.)

Marina Thu 17-Feb-05 16:56:12

You don't need to be registered to work outside the home as a playleader/after-school club helper, but you will be police checked.
If looking for a childminder, I would always expect that person to be registered. No matter what my children's age...because I believe part of the process is appropriate vetting of any other adults resident in the childminder's home.

Twiglett Thu 17-Feb-05 17:00:43

it is not legal to look after children for money (under the age of 8) for over 2 hours a week without being registered

NotQuiteCockney Thu 17-Feb-05 17:05:12

Reading the thread, I thought, of course I'd only use a registered childminder ... and then I realised the only person who really takes care of DS1 for money, ever, is a friend's 17-year-old, who is of course not registered. She sometimes takes him to her house, but obviously I know everyone who lives there.

If it wasn't someone I knew quite well, then, no, I probably wouldn't use a non-registered person. Why not register?

Uwila Thu 17-Feb-05 17:10:48

AS a parent I would only leave my children with someone I didn't know if they were registered. Of course, my nanny isn't registered, but since she lives in my house, I've gotten to know her a bit.

HappyMumof2 Thu 17-Feb-05 17:22:35

Message withdrawn

PurplePearl Thu 17-Feb-05 18:10:20

Thank you for all your answers. I am looking to do nanny work (after school pick up and care). I was just wondering because I have replied to a few posts and people seem to want registered childminders and I am not one. Tahnks anyhoo.
Much appreciated.

batters Thu 17-Feb-05 22:38:57

I think that if you are looking after a child in your homw for less than 2 hours (ie 1 hour 59 mins) then you don't have to be registered,as happymum says. I checked this late last year as my friend was looking after my little girl after school.

However Purplepearl as others have said, why not register? If you aren't registered you lose your opportunity to provide holiday care etc over full days.

Mosschops30 Thu 17-Feb-05 22:41:23

Message withdrawn

kimosaby Fri 25-Feb-05 22:04:44

Hi, I'm a mum of three children and have recently become a registered childminder.You have to go through an OFSTED inspection which seems alot when you read the national standards but the people that do the inspection are quite help full and its not that bad.Then you have to attend a 12 hour course about childminding and a 12 hour fist aid course which are both free.Any other courses that you may want to attend are free as well.you are inspected every year and do the first aid every 3 years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now