Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM Club:I'm back from holiday & looking for a job

(22 Posts)
KatyMac Sat 23-Aug-08 15:00:04

I can either accept that CM is going bust & sack my staff or get a job and keep them on in case things build up a bit.

So I am looking for temporary work - I'm going to try and register at some agencies & see what I get

Wish me luck

CarGirl Sat 23-Aug-08 15:01:48

sad

Hope you find something very very soon.

BoysAreLikeDogs Sat 23-Aug-08 15:03:11

Oh Katy good luck

How was the hol??

AbbaFan Sat 23-Aug-08 15:09:50

Do you work from home Katymac?

KatyMac Sat 23-Aug-08 15:11:57

Hols were fine - very quiet (which was a good thing as I kept falling asleep)

I childmind from home & I currently have 5 staff....& only 2 children - so things are a bit tricky

AbbaFan Sat 23-Aug-08 15:15:34

Sounds like you need to lose the staff and go it alone. Is that what you think might happen?

KatyMac Sat 23-Aug-08 15:18:27

Maybe - but I'd rather get a job to see if I can tide us over until if things get better

I don't want to do it by myself - we are a great team (& they all depend on me I can't let them down)

CarGirl Sat 23-Aug-08 15:18:30

Like I said before you could always re-employ them if things pick up again in the near future.

I really feel for you, horrid situation all around.

KatyMac Sat 23-Aug-08 19:03:03

I guess you are right

I just don't want to

zippitippitoes Sat 23-Aug-08 19:07:43

oh my goodness you will have to lose some staff surely how will you pay them with only two mindees and five staff

KatyMac Sat 23-Aug-08 19:10:46

I need 50 hrs a week if I don't work

They are working 60 between them so it isn't that bad & I have a few out-of-schoolers

I do think getting a job (even if p/t) will help & we may get new children in September

CarGirl Sat 23-Aug-08 20:22:53

Well September isn't far off and if you've not had enquiries it's not looking likely to suddenly fill up.

Sorry but I think redundancies are very much on the cards sad

KatyMac Sat 23-Aug-08 20:31:38

I know you are rightsad

CarGirl Sat 23-Aug-08 20:33:30

sad

Will you have to pay them redundancy?

surely they all suspect that it is on the cards?

KatyMac Sat 23-Aug-08 20:41:31

They are on 75% wages for September, one has gone (or will be gone by the end of this week)

I know they know how shaky things are - but if I lose them I am accepting it will never pick up again & I truly truly think they will - so if I temp I can get over the next few weeks and see how it goes <<Katymac futilely tries to justify her decision)

KatyMac Sat 23-Aug-08 20:42:06

Only one gets redundancy - but 3 are from one family sad

1dilemma Sun 24-Aug-08 01:27:58

Katy sorry will the schools allow yu to advertise in their newsletter when they reopen?

(If it's any help we don't have anywhere for one of ours to go in September but we are in London so more options I suppose)

imananny Sun 24-Aug-08 10:43:56

aww katy(hugs)

I am so sorry it has possibly come to this sad, I know its not a decison you are taking lightly

What temp work are you going to look for through an agency? as a nanny?

Summer is often quiet, so hopefully once next week is over, we will be in september, and then schools are back and hopefully things will improve smile

If they dont, then least you would have given it your best shot xxxx

KatyMac Sun 24-Aug-08 13:22:24

Temp work - anything, admin, management, secretarial, finance, nanny (I suppose?) nursery staff?

School - local one has 60 pupils all know me by name blush

Thanks for your good wishes - I will (no doubt) keep you all informed blushhmm?

1dilemma Sun 24-Aug-08 21:51:36

Katy would there be any milage in running 'groups' to try and tide you over eg mothers and toddlers, baby music, playgroup etc etc

just a crazy thought

nannynick Sun 24-Aug-08 22:05:25

Katy - sorry to hear things have got this bad. Hope you can find some way of keeping cashflow coming... good luck job hunting.

KatyMac Sun 24-Aug-08 22:06:45

I'd need a good usp - there are lots around - good idea though

Thanks Nick - I think we all knew it was coming sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now