Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Restrictions in UK re nanny's

(16 Posts)
mishmash Thu 17-Feb-05 11:47:17

Hi
I am looking for some advice for my friend who currently resides in Singapore. She is repatriating to either UK or Ireland soon. Has a filipino nanny - are there are any restrictions in the UK in bringing her with them. What would she need to do there?

Uwila Thu 17-Feb-05 16:19:41

I'm not an expert, but I think your friend would have to apply for a work visa for her in the usual way. And, I hear -- though again I am not expert -- this can take 12 months in the UK. I don't know if there is a faster track for repatriating with an existing employee. Perhaps there is?

Ameriscot2005 Thu 17-Feb-05 16:24:53

If the nanny has worked for the family for more than a year, she can come to the UK on a domestic worker visa.

mishmash Thu 17-Feb-05 16:51:09

Thanks guys - will pass this info onto her - she has been with her for over a year - America is there a particular department that she has to apply to for this?

Ameriscot2005 Thu 17-Feb-05 20:25:44

She'd apply for a visa at the British High Commission in Singapore

hatsoff Thu 17-Feb-05 20:40:26

there is a faster track for Filipina nannies. It's called being mates with the home secretary

mishmash Thu 17-Feb-05 23:32:20

??? hatsoff - what am i missing - i ain't uk based - is there something going on with the HS there???

hatsoff Thu 17-Feb-05 23:38:06

David Blunkett resigned amidst a furore that he had fast-tracked his lover's filipina nanny's visa application.

ChicPea Fri 18-Feb-05 00:45:36

Just some advice for what it's worth. I agree with the other posts which say your friend can apply for a visa so working here for the family will be legal. Filipinas earn in London about £300-£350 net per 5/5.5 day week. However, when they come over "on a Singapore contract" they are usually earning considerably less. They then go to Church and meet other Filipinas and they discuss salaries. It's at this time that the lower paid Filipina mentally plans to leave the family. I interviewed a Filipina who asked me if I would pay her £400 per week net!!!!! I told her sweetly that her expectations were beyond me!! They are very aware of rates. Maybe your friend can offer a bonus at the end of two - three years if she is keen to keep her that long?

mishmash Fri 18-Feb-05 01:28:41

Thanks Chickpea
Same here - but mine is very well looked after so I know the others are jealous of her situation. My opinion - they are thousands of miles away from home - they deserve to be treated right and hope that I do and know I do

mishmash Fri 18-Feb-05 01:30:53

Don't mean to confuse - chicpea - I also have a Philpino (spelling) as well as my friend. BTW know all about them talking amongst each other

Tanzie Fri 18-Feb-05 06:57:04

You can probably get more info from the Home Office website or your local British Embassy or Consulate. I think as well as having worked for you for a year, you have to have a proper contract with the nanny dated from the time she started working for you (don't quote me on this one, but a friend of mine who wanted to take her nanny back to UK fell down on this one as it was all done pretty informally).

I'm in Belgium, and a live-in Filipina nanny generally earns around 1000 euros a month here (net).

Ameriscot2005 Fri 18-Feb-05 07:44:01

Here are all the domestic worker requirements:

* be aged between 18 and 65; and

* have been working as a domestic worker in the same house as your employer for one year or more immediately before your application, and show evidence that there is a connection between you and your employer; and

* intend to travel to the UK with your employer, your employer’s husband or wife or your employer’s child who is under 18; and

* intend to work full-time as a domestic worker in the same house as your employer or in a household that the employer uses for himself regularly and where there is evidence that there is a connection between you and your employer; and

* not intend to take employment except as a domestic worker; and

* be able to support yourself and live, as certified by your employer, without any help from public funds; and

* have a valid United Kingdom visa for entry as a domestic worker

mishmash Fri 18-Feb-05 10:40:03

just realised that I have been calling you by a wrong name Ameriscot - thanks for all the info - have passed it on to my friend.

Thanks everyone

ChicPea Sun 20-Feb-05 22:41:43

Tanzie, 1000 euros per month net is unbelievable!!! That is certainly a lower rate than what we pay over here!

Tanzie Mon 21-Feb-05 22:18:59

Well, all things in perspective - GPs here earn around GBP 30,000 per annum - less than half what they would get in UK. 1200 euros a month net is not bad by those standards, esp when you have no accommodation costs, food or bills. I certainly don't have that sort of money left as "fritter money" (my Financial Adviser's nauseating term) each month. And that is not just a low wage for Filipinas, it is the going rate for a nanny/childcarer, but if someone is on a WP and on a contract and living in, they don't have to pay tax and social security out of that, which a local person would have to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now