Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

advice please- what to do about getting Nanny a Christmas Pressie

(15 Posts)
nowwearefour Fri 22-Aug-08 10:10:21

This will be my first year of having a Nanny at Christmas. She works for us one day a week. Should I get her a pressie? I would like to as I really like her ! Is it expected? What should it be? I thinkmoney is tight for her at home so was wondering about vouchers eg John Lewis to help her out or is that really not appropriate? I have NO IDEA how much I should spend as I dont want to embarrass her by being too stingy or too generous ! I will get her little girl a Christmas pressie - but should i get one for the Nanny herself too? I know it is early but money is tight for us too and I want to plan ahead to get all the pressie costs spread over a few months

AtheneNoctua Fri 22-Aug-08 10:33:08

Yes. Get her something. It doesn't have to be hugely expensive. I'd think about £50 or so (JL vouchers are a good idea). For her daughter, I'd get her something little from the DCs.

FourArms Fri 22-Aug-08 12:46:03

I think £50 for a one day a week nanny is a bit much. However, I suppose it depends on how many children you have (not sure from your username if you have 4? or 2?), so she could end up spending a similar amount on you.

Perhaps say that your children get lots of presents, and you really don't expect her to get anything for them.

imananny Fri 22-Aug-08 13:21:05

I have always been very lucky and had a weeks wages as a xmas bonus, plus a small personal gift in all of my jobs

In my one day job I used to have, I got a days wages as a bonus (cash) and then a small smelly set from kids

vouchers are a nice touch, but sometimes cash is nicer grin

really nice that you are thinking ahead

lindseyfox Fri 22-Aug-08 14:14:39

i think gift vouchers are nice maybe £20 worth as she is only with you one day a week and you say you will also get her child something.

maybe you could get a little something from your children to her, maybe a nice cushion from next or something.

I work for the nhs and wish i got so much as a thankyou for xmas!!

lindseyfox Fri 22-Aug-08 14:14:40

i think gift vouchers are nice maybe £20 worth as she is only with you one day a week and you say you will also get her child something.

maybe you could get a little something from your children to her, maybe a nice cushion from next or something.

I work for the nhs and wish i got so much as a thankyou for xmas!!

Simplyme Fri 22-Aug-08 15:21:42

I would say £20 is prob too tight! As a nanny I always get presents from my charges and boss and tbh spend around the £50 mark or so! I know you don't give presents to receive but £20 is not much imo even for 1 day nanny! I also agree with imananny that cash is very nice!

Simplyme Fri 22-Aug-08 15:22:44

oops meant that to be get presents FOR my charges and boss!!

nowwearefour Fri 22-Aug-08 15:40:49

OK thanks- goodness i hadnt even considered that she might get something for my 2 dds. i really wouldnt want her to- she got them both birthday pressies- great ones- but christmas is such an expensive time. maybe i will give a cash 'bonus' and her a token pressie from my kids and her little girl something. interesting thoughts.

imananny Fri 22-Aug-08 16:18:31

agree £20 isnt much - you dont give to receive, but agree that nanny will buy presents for your children, as most nannies i know do for their charges, even if a one day job

BecauseImWorthIt Fri 22-Aug-08 16:22:55

I used to always give a cash bonus - used to go to the bank and get nice crisp new £20 notes! - and then a small, more personal gift.

If you don't want her to get your children a present then you need to make it clear early on - and also beware that she might be considering buying your and your DH/P one too unless you tell her other wise!

imananny Fri 22-Aug-08 16:32:03

i dont buy birthday pressies for mb/db,but obv give them a card from me,as well as homemade by children, I do buy for kids,( i always get lovely birthday pressies as well, and a homemade card in return, which thought and time have gone into) smile

i do buy xmas for all, normally a nice bottle of bubbly for mb/db and then pressies for kids again

sure nanny will appreicate anything, and remember although cash is fabgrin a thank you every now and again, goes a very long way as well ( and obv doesnt cost anything)

lindseyfox Fri 22-Aug-08 20:01:12

i think its quite awful that some nannies think £20 is not enough as a gift.

As I only night nanny/ad-hoc nanny for families i have never expected anything i do buy small gifts for the children I see reguarly some i only see once or twice a year.

One family I night nannied for and now babysit for reguarly (2 and half years on)buy me a nice smellies gift set its very expensive and not what i would splash out on myself.

I never expect a gift/bonus etc and dont think anyone should.

sorry to rant on but it seems that some of you feel its a given - remember some parents are stretching the budget to pay for a nanny (your wages) and you should be happy to recieve a bottle of wine or box of chocolates and be gratefull you have have a nice job with a regular income.

ok rant over!!

navyeyelasH Fri 22-Aug-08 22:17:04

I think TBH it depends on your nanny.

I would be upset if my charges didn't give me a present of some sort and I'd rather it was made (a simple card with a lovely message would make me happy) rather than bought but that's just the person I am. I'm not worried if my bosses don't get me anything (although I probably would be upset if I didn't get a card) though it's the children I'd be upset about more.

I personally think £20 is a lot and if my boss gave me a weeks bonus I think I'd fall off my chair - of course I would love it but I would not have expected it at all. I've never been a nanny during the x-mas period and my birthday is also in December so will be interesting to see what I get.

I get birthday and Christmas gifts for everyone in my family including mum and dad; but I make them. I made stuffed animals for the girls and truffles for dads birthday with the help of the girls and will prob make mum a recipe binder and a framed picture of the girls or something similar.

So I think that really it depends on your nanny; I think my family know I would prefer for the girls to make me something rather than go spending heaps of money on something. Some nannies may want cash but then other might hate cash (I really don't like getting cash as a gift I'm an ungrateful mare!). If the internet had never been invented and you has not posted this question, what would you have got her? I reckon your first / gut idea would make her happy. Don't worry about "the norm" worry about what she would like smile.

vixma Fri 22-Aug-08 22:33:20

I work two days a week and although I dont expect nothing I have to admit choccies (or wine)and a card wrapped and made by your kids (personal gift) with a personal message of grattitude (from you and kids) is awesome and special.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now