Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM's do you provide car seats or ask parents to?

(20 Posts)
deedledum Thu 21-Aug-08 15:59:41

I have a 5 yr old starting next week. I will need a booster seat for him (natch) for the few occasions we are in the car. Should I shell out the 60 odd quid (bearing in mind my 2 yr old will eventually use it) now or ask parents to supply one? It won't be simple for them as I am getting him from school. Also, I have a 1 yr old too whom I can provide a car seat for as we have a spare one, so feel unfair that I am not treating the children/parents in the same way. Anyway, I am almost typing myself the solution here, but wondered what everyone else provided?

alibubbles Thu 21-Aug-08 17:05:39

I provide all seats as some of them are car specific. Not all car seats fit properly in all cars. In 22 years, I have not had a parent supply one, but I have had a donation towards a special needs one.

ThePrisoner Thu 21-Aug-08 17:23:45

I always provide car seats and, as alibubbles says, the seats have to fit the vehicle. I think it is my responsibility as part of the service I offer.

BoysAreLikeDogs Thu 21-Aug-08 17:31:56

Deedle, you know the answer is to get one for him.

smile

Put the expense through your books, takes down your income too, everybody wins.

AbbaFan Thu 21-Aug-08 17:41:23

Yes I provide them - but have always needed them myself anyway.

deedledum Thu 21-Aug-08 17:46:48

Yes, I know BALD, just balking at sudden prospect of spending a fortune, stupidly hadn't thought ahead. Shall get one this weekend.

Thanks everyone

crochetdiva Thu 21-Aug-08 17:52:35

They're not all that expensive ... look here - I'm sure you can get a basic booster seat in Tesco for around a tenner too.

ThePrisoner Thu 21-Aug-08 17:52:45

I always buy my seats new, but I have never paid as much as £60 for one. Are they really that expensive these days??

BoysAreLikeDogs Thu 21-Aug-08 18:00:02

smile

OFSTEDoutstanding Thu 21-Aug-08 18:15:11

I provide all car seats from birth to the booster seats that you sit on until the right height. This way I know the history of the seats and that I am not carrying mindees round on seats that have been in accidents or bought on car boots to get a 'cheapy' for the cm as only there some days a week.

GordonTheGopher Thu 21-Aug-08 18:16:21

I'm sorry, £60 for a booster? Does it have a built in ipod and DVD player?

AbbaFan Thu 21-Aug-08 18:45:34

Those ones with the back are around £60 have seen some in Halfords for £99

ActiveC Thu 21-Aug-08 18:53:22

lidl had booster seats for £3.99!

alibubbles Thu 21-Aug-08 21:11:36

I have changed my car, I have just spent £320 on two Isofix seats. They are tools of the trade and and a tax deductible expense.
I provide a service to parents and providing the correct safety equipment is part of that all inclusive service.

You can get Britax Evolva boosters with backs in Halfords for around £45, less if you shop around on the internet.

deedledum Fri 22-Aug-08 10:35:25

Thanks everyone

navyeyelasH Fri 22-Aug-08 22:47:29

Asda were doing a baby week and were selling a graco boosted seat with the sodes for £30 maybe check if your Asda is doing it (my baby week stopped last week).

Also mamas and papas were/having a sale that had some in, and argos do the ones with sides quite cheap at £25 but I have no idea of their safety rating etc Tesco also have some here and tesco also do a graco one but again not sure of their safety record. Mothercare also do one for less than £30 without a harness.

Which have a car seat guide which might be useful see here you have to pay for the subscription, it says the Britax Evolva is the best by the way.

Also as others have said it needs to fit your car, so I would go to Mothercare/Halfords and ask them what to get for your car then shop around for the models they recommend.

Happy hunting!

hana Fri 22-Aug-08 22:59:33

I had to buy one for the childminder as she was perfectly happy to buy a second hand one for dd at a NCT sale despite all advice saying otherwise, I wasn't happy with this at all. I only knew where it came from (the sale) because I was there too and she was quite happy with her 'bargin' Grrr.

NumberFour Sat 23-Aug-08 14:17:18

i also see carseats as tools of the trade and now have 3 Maxi Cosi carseats, two Britax booster seats with side and back panels and two cheapy bum booster seats. Set me back a fortune at the time but my parents appreciate it and of course sharing with parents can be a pain in the backside, with getting carseats in and out of cars every day.

tori32 Sat 23-Aug-08 14:34:05

I have a full complement of car seats 1 baby carrier, 3 up to 4yrs and 3 booster seats (1 with back and 2 without). They take up most of my house LOLgrin I agree they have to be able to fit your vehicle so it is safer to supply them.

tori32 Sat 23-Aug-08 14:37:35

Just a bum booster should be ok unless he is really small. I got mine from toysrus for 16 quid each. (graco)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now