Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How should I handle this? Maternity cover replacement constantly calling me.

(14 Posts)
oopsacoconut Wed 20-Aug-08 18:28:40

Hi

I am a nanny and have just started maternity leave (am 39 weeks pregnant) Before I left my job I organised things for my cover nanny, giving her a handbook I had prepared with all the useful info on the kids, house, activities and included kids fav recipes, places to go, etc etc... as I have been there 6 years since eldest was one and before littlest was born.

For the first week I was off I ansewered her calls for help and popped in when she needed advice on how to do things, deal with certain situations when parents were away. Now she is ringing me 3/4 times a day with silly questions like - where is the old newspaper kept? (in the kitchen bin marked newspaper!) how do you make gravy? how do I get from this carpark to another one that is not full?????

Okay I don't mind helping out and it is a very demanding job but I need time to not be thinking about it and get my head around my own impending baby. When she phoned for the 4th time today I said I was on my way into midwife and was busy - could she ask FB or look in handbook as I know I wrote it down, she got really sarky and asked (and the kids were in the background) why I couldn't be bothered with them anymore? cue crying from littlest and later a call from temp asking how to stop him crying?

Am I being unreassonable to ignore her? Should I ring FB and explain what has been going on?

Sorry for the long rant. Any advice appreciated.

spicemonster Wed 20-Aug-08 18:34:17

Ring your employer (what does FB stand for by the way) and tell them. Not acceptable. And then don't answer the phone.

oopsacoconut Wed 20-Aug-08 18:36:06

Sorry - FB is female boss

nannynick Wed 20-Aug-08 18:36:31

You are on maternity leave. I feel it's quite reasonable for you to ignore her. The handbook sounds like a great idea, though sounds as if she isn't using it. If she needs help, surely it should be FB/MB she contacts, not you. You've done the handover... you are now on leave.

Perhaps e-mail FB to say that should he need to contact you for any reason - such as to arrange keeping in touch days - then contact by e-mail is best. Then you can ignore calls coming from their home number, plus the temp nannies mobile number.

CaptainFabioHiltsTheCoolerCat Wed 20-Aug-08 18:37:05

She sounds like a stalker.
Dreadful thing to say in front of children.
You need to speak to your employer, and tell the nanny to stop calling you.

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Wed 20-Aug-08 18:37:13

I would ring FB and explain situation. She clearly thinks its okay to call you whenever and to say that you aren't bothered about the kids anymore when they are within earshot is a horrid thing to do. I would tell FB that you don't want to tell tales but obviously, as you are on maternity leave, you are due a little space and rest! If you were my regularly nanny, I would definitely be very understanding of your situation and then discuss with cover in a tactful manner wink

cyteen Wed 20-Aug-08 18:39:21

Ask her if she knows how to read, and when she says yes, tell her to read the fucking manual. Then hang up and refuse to answer ever again.

I would definitely contact FB to state firmly that while you are on maternity leave you are no longer responsible for FB's children, and that FB needs to take charge of the situation and stop this moron from constantly ringing you.

(Can you tell I'm having a hormonal day today? grin)

imananny Wed 20-Aug-08 19:27:14

PMSL at cyteen - perfect answer!!! grin

silly phone calls are not ACCEPTABLE what the fuck? How to make gravey?shock

What a nightmare temp she sounds!!! I have been cover for a ML for a nanny, and I certainly didnt ring the pregnant nanny to ask pathetic questions, nor did I have a handbook(wonderful idea btw smile) - i just used my brain!!

AS much as you dont want to feel you are telling tales,you do need to ring FB and explain the situation,and then if your mobile rings with either the work/home phone or temp nannies mob, you IGNORE it, and then listen to message she will leave, and then IF you want to call back or text you can

nannyma Wed 20-Aug-08 19:35:22

Well I would be polite and next time when temp nanny will call say just please I do not have time for thaht, you are their nanny right now. If you have some problem please call FB. And then I would call FB and ask her if is everything ok (I am wuite sure that she will say no) and then explain her what is going on ... Tem looks like she is not experienced enough. I do work as emergency nanny right now and NEVER call revious nanny for help. How silly!

catepilarr Wed 20-Aug-08 19:52:12

she sounds thick!

mumthatworks Wed 20-Aug-08 20:06:46

Hi I am not a nanny but had same problem when on maternity leave...couldnt ring my old boss to sort it out as I was sure she wouldnt like me not caring blah blah blah so in the end purposesly didnt answer the phone or emails if my replacement called...started off with would call back the next day and say oh sorry i had phone off as baby was sleeping and just picked up your message and then next time waited two days and then three days and so on...he stopped calling eventually!

Good luck she sounds a right fool!!!
xxx

SammyK Wed 20-Aug-08 21:04:48

Can't believe she said that in front of the children!

I would just let her go to answerphone as mumthatworks says. Are you still in contact with the children whilst you are on leave?

oopsacoconut Thu 21-Aug-08 09:02:11

Morning All, Thanks for all your advice.

Well Boss rang last night asking me if I would pop in and see kiddies as littlest was beside himself at bedtime as he thought I no longer loved him, she had no idea where it came from. I took the opportunity to explain the situation to her and she was fantastic and had no idea what was going on. She will speak to temp in the morning and explain it is not acceptable.

SammyK Yes I still see the kids - the job was very full on and required lots of proxy parenting so we are all just one big family - kids believe this baby will be their baby sister ( and the looks that gets is very funny).

imananny Thu 21-Aug-08 09:41:37

aww bless your youngest sad

glad FB knows the situation - and will have words with temp

what she did was unforgivable imo

sounds as if FB has her head screwed on ok - when do you plan to go back?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now