Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

BBC News Today

(52 Posts)
Shoshe Wed 20-Aug-08 15:24:33

here

eleanorsmum Wed 20-Aug-08 18:15:16

how true and sad.

SammyK Wed 20-Aug-08 18:36:01

sad

TBH - extremely honest - I too will be jumping ship when ds at school full time(sept 09), my nerves and energy are frazzled from childminding. I work long days then do training and paperwork on top and still don't make ends meet!

I love cm'ing - I have good days and bad days, but I have never ever had a job where I can honestly hand on heart tell people I love my work. smile All the fun is being taken out of it. For me and the kids. hmm

Shoshe Wed 20-Aug-08 18:44:13

I'm going in July 2010 as well Sammy, (hopefully going over to the enemy, I want to become a Ofsted Inspector!)

SammyK Wed 20-Aug-08 19:21:49

Is it the pay tempting you shoshe? wink grin

chelsygirl Wed 20-Aug-08 19:26:57

its very disheartening isn't it

childminders should be encouraged to enjoy their jobs and enjoy the children they look after, not spend loads of time forward planning and writing every little thing down

Shoshe Wed 20-Aug-08 19:38:18

Welllllllllllllllllllllll Sammy grin

No I thought i might start the revolt from within grin

Shoshe Wed 20-Aug-08 19:46:57

article in the Telegraph as well

mumlove Wed 20-Aug-08 20:02:17

hmm And what part of the country would you be working in? (Need to see if I have to sell my house and move!!)

Shoshe Wed 20-Aug-08 20:11:16

Evil Cackle hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahha

Yours my Dear Mumlove hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

HarrietTheSpy Wed 20-Aug-08 20:28:54

Presumably parents should have the right to opt out of these increasingly ridiculous schemes for their children. What if I don't want all of that for my child? What are my options? I guess a nanny, but it sounds like the noose is tightening there too.

morocco Wed 20-Aug-08 20:43:30

the other alternative is a non ofsted registered carer. I reckon this is the way things are going to go in future. more cash in hand jobs. less paperwork and admin.

Shoshe Wed 20-Aug-08 20:51:14

But Morocco a non registered is illegal, and you cant get Tax credits or such using a non reg.

SammyK Wed 20-Aug-08 20:57:35

Unregistered child carers are not police checked (or is anyone they live with), insured, trained as well if at all, are not checked for safety, hygiene, etc.

The affluent will take on nannies and the working class will have no choice but nurserys (I won't go into my views there) or unregistered care. angry

Harriet - the opt out process is ridiculous and has been designed to deter people from doing so.

mumlove Wed 20-Aug-08 20:58:19

shock Have I told you that you are very welcome to come and have coffee and cake lovely fruit with us anytime you like grin grin

mumlove Wed 20-Aug-08 21:01:04

smile There must be something wrote that friends cannot do your inspection unless you would give me a GOOD smile.

Shoshe Wed 20-Aug-08 21:06:46

I can be bribed with cake grin and I wont tell them I know you if you dont wink

SammyK Wed 20-Aug-08 21:10:26

Hmm I am now considering moving and learning how to bake a good cake. grin

mumlove Wed 20-Aug-08 21:12:17

Thankyou oh great and lovely Shoshe smile (On my knees praising you)

Shoshe Wed 20-Aug-08 21:20:34

I will remember you both grin

Wont be for a while but have been looking into it and am qualified, and I think it could be interesting.

ThePrisoner Wed 20-Aug-08 21:29:59

I am going to print the newspaper article out and give it to all my minding parents. Not one single one of them (and I mind for 9 families) are impressed with all the new stuff, and several of them are teachers and are well aware of what is being asked for.

I have been on holiday and started work again this week. I usually come back "calm and refreshed." However, this time, I am feeling disillusioned and am seriously not happy.

I do lots of fun paperwork for parents (baby diaries and newsletters with photos and written stuff about our monthly activities). I have fairly loose written planning on a general level for all children. I do not want to do written observations (whether it's once a week or once a year). I do not want to have to link up our fun activities to any educational stages to prove to anyone that the children are learning. Parents do not want this either.

I think the article explains beautifully just how I feel. I have been minding for years, and I know I do a good job, but I am truly considering my options now.

SammyK Wed 20-Aug-08 21:37:24

TP sad

HarrietTheSpy Wed 20-Aug-08 22:06:42

I didn't mean that I wanted to start paying cash in hand or do anything underhand. Not sure if it's how I came across. I just meant surely parents have other options from insisting their carer is trying to get their children to write before preschool, for example.

1dilemma Thu 21-Aug-08 00:48:07

I agree with you in general, we use a nursery but have become increasingly unhappy wiht the time and effort the staff put in to writing down and recording/observing what the children do and linking it to development/educational progression. We've decided it's time for a change.

I want nursery to be fun and relaxing and caring not about the alphabet!!

nicolapiglet Fri 22-Aug-08 09:52:12

Experienced NNEB Nanny with own child available for work in North Hampshire/ Surrey.
I live in between Farnham & Petersfield and I am looking for a Nanny position that would allow me to take my 13 month old daughter with me, ideally around 30 hours per week but I very flexible.
I have a current enhanced CRB and Early Years First Aid Training and I am available from September.
If you are interested please drop me a line to nikki.statham@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks
Nikki

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now