Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Double buggy - will I regret buying a cheapie and should I get a decent one?

(14 Posts)
MrsPuddleduck Wed 20-Aug-08 12:05:07

Someone has offered me a Kidz Kargo one for £40 including the raincover (secondhand - I have yet to see it but it apparently it is hardly used).

Should I just get a decent one?

I am only just starting out so am not sure.

I have a Phil and Teds but as DS and the little girl I am looking after are 2 1/2 I think a side by side one would create fewer problems.

dmo Wed 20-Aug-08 12:59:06

get the cheap one for now and as your business grows and your money pot gets bigger get a better one smile

i put away £10 per week in a pot for new bits like prams/carseats

Sullwah Wed 20-Aug-08 13:25:53

I am a twin mum and have a cheap double buggy in the boot for shopping - definately worth it - and in lots of ways better than the expensive one we keep in the house for walks.

TJ1976 Wed 20-Aug-08 14:03:38

Hi, When I started out as cm I had my own young toddler and caring for another toddler of same age. I looked high and low for weeks for the right pushchair. I drive so it had to fit in my car and through my front door without any issues. I also was amazed at the weight of the twin prams/tandems even when no kids sitting in them. I went for a side by side pram - Out N About. It's very light weight (I'm petite so needed this option!), its a 3 wheeler and the wheels are like mini bike tyres. I've been using this pram each day for 2 yrs! Its great! There are lots of them about. I bought mine brand new on Ebay for £285 - I know expensive! But its made my job so much easier getting about each day. It pushes itself without much pushing from me - unless I have lots of bags piled on the pram! There are lots of second hand ones about and colours so try looking on Ebay.

SammyK Wed 20-Aug-08 18:42:01

I have tried so many different doubles for childminding!

The nicest I have had have been a side by side bruin (umbrella fold) from toys r us (I got mine from an xcatalogue type market stall,
and my current double - a marco sky which is fabulous.
grin

Shoshe Wed 20-Aug-08 18:50:51

I have a Marco Sky as well, you copied Sammy, (sticks tongue out)

Its great for town and school runs.

And a Kingswood 3-wheeler double buggy, for off road.

SammyK Wed 20-Aug-08 18:58:57

Yes I did copy from shoshe grin mwah hah ha!

Seriously though I love it.

My front bumper bar had got sun bleached so I have bought new fabric for it as I can't bear to part with it!

BoysAreLikeDogs Wed 20-Aug-08 19:03:33

I bought one a couple of years ago - was about £100, had to be careful as most wouldn't fit in my car boot (have a galaxy which has a tiny boot )

Can't remember the brand, it's stored in the garage until new baby starts in October [awww]

Shoshe Wed 20-Aug-08 19:04:32

Mine has teeth marks grin and when folded it lent against the Rats cage and they chewed a bit of the hood angry but I'm not parting with it.

BoysAreLikeDogs Wed 20-Aug-08 19:05:49

And I tried a Mothercare one last week - belongs to a mate, a tandem-style - didn't fit in the car by about 6 cms.

Am interested in the out n about, having a google in a mo

SillyMillysMummy Wed 20-Aug-08 19:09:47

Mrs Puddleduck, i have one i am selling for a friend on the for sale board, it is a big jogger type, i was going to keep it for when i get my registration through but i have only just sent it off blush I know very little about doubles but have had many many singles and this actually seems quite light to push, although is fairly heavy to lift.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/5070/588653

SammyK Wed 20-Aug-08 19:36:21

Never test a double without kids is my advice.

taps nose knowingly.

navyeyelasH Wed 20-Aug-08 20:29:03

Mrs Puddle Duck - if you do get annew one would you be interested in selling your P&T to me at all? In my experience they are the best Tandems and the best side by sides are Marco Sky / Maclaren Twin Triumph!

I always go to a shop like mothercare, test out pushchairs weight etc then get on ebay and buy the one you liked best in the shop! wink

navyeyelasH Wed 20-Aug-08 20:33:09

Also here are some reviews:

one

two

three

all google results

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now