Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminder for 1 day a week - realistic?

(10 Posts)
SydneyB Wed 20-Aug-08 11:57:00

Come next Spring I shall have two LOs - one 2.5yr old and one 7 months. I intend for them both to be in nursery 3 days a week but will need an extra day somewhere as I work 4 days a week. The nursery charges for 5 days a week if you take 4 and we just can't stretch to that. And I really like the eldest to be in nursery and then it makes sense logistically for them both to be in the same place 3 days a week. Does anyone have any thoughts as to how easy or sensible it is to place them both with a childminder one day a week? I am in N16.

hana Wed 20-Aug-08 12:04:25

I worked one day a week for 3 years and had a childminder for that one day - it wasn't a problem. Lots of childminders take on parttime mindees.

GordonTheGopher Wed 20-Aug-08 12:04:43

That's not going to happen as you're taking 2 out of the 3 under 5's places - no cm will do that for one day, sorry.

hana Wed 20-Aug-08 12:12:26

yes they will, i am proof!

had 2 different childminders over that period

Bramshott Wed 20-Aug-08 12:28:28

It's absolutely possible, but Gordon is right, it will be more difficult to find for 2 DCs. Start looking early. Would you consider 2 days with a childminder and 2 days nursery? There are real positive benefits to children being in a home-based setting for some of the time, particularly with your 7 month old.

SydneyB Wed 20-Aug-08 12:42:37

Ah Bramshott, hadn't thought of that, thanks! Could be good solution.

dmo Wed 20-Aug-08 12:56:43

i have a little boy 1 morning a week means i cant offer a full time place to anyone but i love part timers

good idea to have nursery 2 days and cm 2 days would be a good spilt for the children smile

MaureenMLove Wed 20-Aug-08 13:01:33

I used to have one that came one day a week too. It's not a problem for the right CM. Gopher is right, there are some that will dismiss one day a week, but if they're one that has a free day and can't fill it, they'll be only to happy to accommodate you. Contact a few nearer the time and have a chat. Many CM's will have a network of other CM's, so they'll be able to guide you in the right direction.

LoveMyGirls Wed 20-Aug-08 13:05:28

Your eldest child will qualify for 5 free sessions at nursery once she turns 3 so maybe you could use a cm'er for all 4 days and she could take and pick up your eldest one from nursery that way you are more likely to keep your places long term with a childminder and your dd gets to experience nursery too, I'm biased as I'm a childminder but personally I think babies are better off with a good childminder and 2 yr olds get very tired so only going for the morning or afternoon everyday instead of long days could work out well. Just another option.

LoveMyGirls Wed 20-Aug-08 13:08:33

I've been looking after 1 child for 5 hrs per week for nearly a year but I think we're lucky he has stayed as long as he has tbh because once my other pt child left (who he shared a spoace with) I had to start advertising again and now I've got a full timer due to start in a couple of months which means my 5hr a week child will have to go because I can't afford to turn away a ft baby and an after schooler which is a shame and though I may be able to get a variation I think it's unlikely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now