Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Car Use for AP - is this reasonable?

(6 Posts)
Badpups Wed 20-Aug-08 11:33:23

Sorry if this has been asked before - I couldn't find a thread about it.

I've got a new AP starting tomorrow. We've had APs for several years now but none of them have been drivers. This one has said that she is happy to drive in the UK (she's German and has been driving for quite a while at home) and I'm hoping that she will be able to help with the school runs.

We're going to pay for a couple of driving lessons for her and then take her out ourselves before letting her loose in the car on her own. Obviously if we're not 100% confident in her driving abilities we won't let her drive the children anywhere.

What I'm not sure about is what we should pay for and what it's reasonable to expect her to pay for if she uses the car for her own private use.

I'm thinking of the following:
- No passengers in the car without agreeing it with us first.
- Pay for own petrol for private use (not sure how to calculate this but probably just pay a nominal amount based on mileage).
- No alcohol if driving.
- She'll be liable to pay any fines that she incurs such as parking or speeding
- She'll be liable to pay the insurance excess if she has an accident that's her fault.

Do these sound reasonable? Should the last 2 apply when she's doing the school run as well?

Any advice welcome please.

Peachy Wed 20-Aug-08 11:39:04

- No passengers in the car without agreeing it with us first.seems a bit harsh- if ashe's out and her friend needs a lift because her lift didn't turn up, do you want a midnight call? or her to abandon friend? I would say max 2 passengers, no to drinkers etc

- Pay for own petrol for private use (not sure how to calculate this but probably just pay a nominal amount based on mileage).
seems fair enough to me

- No alcohol if driving. absolutely*

- She'll be liable to pay any fines that she incurs such as parking or speeding
definitely

- She'll be liable to pay the insurance excess if she has an accident that's her fault. yes but get her to agree the amount first s she is aware

NewTeacher Wed 20-Aug-08 13:40:30

I agree with OP passengers should be allowed.

The last one is a bit of a problem though, depending on her age the excess is likely to be anything fromm £200 - £400 and tbh on an AP's wage is she going to be able to afford to pay it? Make her liable when she is using the car for private use but I think its unfair on school runs as you are the one asking her to use the car.

HTH

SqueakyPop Wed 20-Aug-08 13:55:58

Do the children need to be driven to school?

Badpups Wed 20-Aug-08 16:04:14

Thanks very much for all the replies.

It's a good point about the passengers - I think that I'll say that giving friends a lift is fine but I'd rather she didn't give lifts to anyone she's just met (for her own safety).

Re. the excess - it will be high and we will tell her the amount before she drives. Obviously we hope that the issue won't arise but if it does and the cause was something that she couldn't have helped then we wouldn't expect her to pay it.

demandingboss Wed 20-Aug-08 17:34:57

You wont have any problem with her driving Badpups as the German driving test is very strict. We chose german girls for that very reason.

I agree that the no passengers thing is a bit harsh but then our Au pairs always drove an old banger not mine or DH's cars.

We didnt pay for speeding fines or parking tickets but they never had any. I told my au pairs that if they were done for speeding then they wouldnt have the car as I wouldnt pay the incresed insurance premium and they may be deported ( LOL !!! They all beleived me ! ).

2 of ours had bumps but in both cases we didnt claim on the insurance and just paid up. One which cost us nearly 2k. Needless to say she went home soon afterwards!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now