Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

WWYD - my boss wants to cut my hours/pay to get a housekeeper...

(45 Posts)
botherednanny Wed 20-Aug-08 08:52:51

As some of you may know, I've had a bit of an ongoing housekeeping saga with my boss...
Anyway, she now wants to dock my already low wages to find a cleaner/housekeeper... What does everyone think? I've said I'm not happy with her docking it for the full 9 hours I normally have but I said I'd agree on a compromise maybe.

So. What does everyone think? I think the wages are pretty low (250 gross for 57.5hrs pw but live in sep flat) for what they want, and its a bit of an insult but then I would hmm

LynetteScavo Wed 20-Aug-08 08:57:11

Are you due a pay rise?

Could the housekeeper be instead of a pay rise?

poshtottie Wed 20-Aug-08 08:58:04

If I was you I would look elsewhere. Even with a flat you should be paid more than this. I was paid the same with flat about 10 years ago.

botherednanny Wed 20-Aug-08 09:36:47

LS - HA! I wish. I've only been there for 6 months + I don't have a pay review written into my contract anyway sad

PT - I know. But I took the job because it was near to my BF and I thought they seemed like a lovely family to work for

demandingboss Wed 20-Aug-08 09:58:31

what do you get paid now BN...250 or is that the new wage ?

demandingboss Wed 20-Aug-08 09:58:57

How many children do you look after ?

botherednanny Wed 20-Aug-08 10:00:06

DB - no, £250 gross is my current wage. I look after one nearly 3 year old. Which sounds simple, but she's very full on!!

demandingboss Wed 20-Aug-08 10:02:29

250 gross.............thats terrible my useless one is on 295 net plus flat and car and my children as you know are at school all bloody day. She doesnt even work the hours you do in the hols.

Leave..........there are hundreds of live in jobs about

squiffy Wed 20-Aug-08 10:03:22

She is being a mare, isn't she? Unfortunately you are stuffed because you haven't worked there for a year, so you have no employment rights. Until you have been there a year she really can do as she wants.

FWIW I paid my old live-in nanny 275 net, plus bonuses (an extra months' salary here and there). She worked similar hours, in a nanny/HK capacity, and she had her own car (all paid for) and lived in an annexe (room & shower-room though - not a flat).

You need to just get your head down and get another job. Looks to me as if the trust between the two of you has completely broken down and I guess this latest thing is just a ruse by her to encourage you to seek another job - that way it avoids confrontation and she won't have a guilt trip about firing you.

By the way, IMHO the nanny/HK role sounds good but is a real nightmare in practice. You either get a great nanny and accept that the HK is not how you'd want it ideally, or (much worse) it is the other way round. I think it only really works where you have older kids and the mum wants a nanny who she can trust will also keep on top of the childrne after school and make sure they do homework etc etc (ie not really a nanny at all).

I think you should accept it gracefully, but your head down and concentrate on being cheerful and doing a fab fab fab job whilst lookign for a new position. That way you will get a good reference at the end of it and she may even change her tune herself...

expatinscotland Wed 20-Aug-08 10:05:08

Find another job.

ASAP.

squiffy Wed 20-Aug-08 10:05:59

Soory - should have clarifeid ) I meant 'not really a nanny' in terms of babies/toddlers and early years' devt - I ceetainly don't want to upset all the fab nannies of older kids on these boards (who I'll not doubt be tryign to hire in due course)

demandingboss Wed 20-Aug-08 10:07:57

Good advice squiffy and you are right about the nanny/HK role. I think in practice you probably dont get either if you try and combine the role and those are the issues I have.

I have tried to build up the job to be something its not and consequently I pay a fortune to someone who cant be arsed.

I am seriously considering seperating the 2 roles again.....getting an au pair to live in and provide that flexibilty....an afterschool nanny to cover homework and keeping my cleaner for the heavy stuff.

I would have thought you should be looking for a sole charge position with nursery duties only .

AtheneNoctua Wed 20-Aug-08 10:08:41

Hi BN. To be perfectly honest, I don't think your wage is that low, considering you have your own flat. It's not high, but it isn't THAT low. However, I think the issue here is more how they treat you. From previous posts I don't think they are really very nice to you. Things like, don't touch the barbecue when we are not here speak volumes about how much they value and trust you.

I think it sounds like they are struggling to pay you, and trying to squueze the most work out of the least pay. Of course, this isn't really your problem -- especially if they are going to treat you the way they do. I mean why should you care if they don't?

I think if you found another live in job for the same money, you would probably be happier. Perhaps people who have had a live in nanny before and know how to treat one.

Where are you? (I'm sure you've said before but can't remember -- sorry)

What is the notice period in the contract? I would think this notice applies to a change in the contract as well as terminating it. So, if you have a month month notice period,m then they have to wait at least one month to implement the change (IF you choose to agree to it).

If I were you, I would put my CV together, and apply for some jobs. See what comes up. If you get a better offer, take it.

Romy7 Wed 20-Aug-08 10:10:41

i paid £350 net for live out, and cash in hand for housekeeping... (don't tell IR)

expatinscotland Wed 20-Aug-08 10:10:48

By the way, IMHO the nanny/HK role sounds good but is a real nightmare in practice.

I agree! Right up there with jobs advertised as 'Receptionist/Secretary'.

No, erm, it doesn't work well together.

botherednanny Wed 20-Aug-08 10:15:20

Hi AN - I work in S.E London, pretty near to central.
Whilst I get the flat paid for, I pay for all my own travel and food.

But I think you're right, I think they treat me like shit and thats the bigger problem sad

in regards to them struggling to pay me - I don't think so!
they're def not poor, none of my business but I assure you they're not short of a few bob.

squiffy Wed 20-Aug-08 10:16:26

DB - that is what I have ended up doing - Nanny who lives out and does nothing but nanny stuff, weekly cleaner who is built like a russian shot-putter, who scrubs floors and all the other yukky stuff, and an AP to live in and (hopefully - only arrived yesterday) doing the tidy-up/ironing/babysitting stuff.

Fingers crossed, this combination might have some legs on it.

imananny Wed 20-Aug-08 10:18:27

BN - you know my views honey - LEAVE and find a family that will appreicate you - trust me there are some lovely famillies out there

You are on a low wage,yes you get the flat, but you still have bills to pay - my bills come to more than 200 a week

Im sorry it hasnt worked out, you gave it a shot, but with the BBQ,when you were ill, and now dropping wages - it is time to find another job (with 32 rooms ideally) wink

I think it is possible to find a nanny/hk but the children need to be older as MP/DB are - it doesnt work when they are young, as if you are looking after toddlers, you cant clean easily,and think parents are trying to get all they want regards staff, with the least amount of wages spent

MP/DB you are just unlucky and found a lazy one imo

squiffy Wed 20-Aug-08 10:20:59

botherednanny - don't jump to conclusions on the money front. Once you take into account mortgages and school fees and standing orders there can be very very little left. If your bosses work in the city for example they may be battening down the hatches and expecting an overall salary cut of something in the region of 50% due to bonus issues this year...

botherednanny Wed 20-Aug-08 10:27:46

I've just emailed her saying I cannot live on my wage if it is docked by 9 hours and that I generally feel that she expects quite a lot of me.

I've told her that I want to find a way for it to work but I've brought up about the N/HK role being great on paper but not so good in practice with a toddler.

I'll see what she say, but I've said my bit. I'm so upset its come to this, I work so f**king hard with her daughter and this is the thanks I get, its so demeaning when all someone cares about is the bloody housework sad

expatinscotland Wed 20-Aug-08 10:28:42

PLEASE get another job before she sacks you.

botherednanny Wed 20-Aug-08 10:31:25

there are no other jobs, I've looked!

I really hope she wouldn't sack me because by her own admission I'm amazing with her child...

expatinscotland Wed 20-Aug-08 10:33:55

then get whatever is going, even non-nanny jobs.

because it's SO much easier to get another job when you're already in one.

not so when you've been sacked.

squiffy Wed 20-Aug-08 11:00:15

Please whatever you do, don't up the ante with the boss. She can sack you and she can give you a bad reference.

Do you need to be near SE London? If you are looking for a live in role then maybe time to look further afield? Being tied to one place is going to make it very hard to find another role.... or is it that there arenlt and good live-in roles across the UK in general? Perhaps the solution is to look for a live out role away from London where you can then afford to rent your own place (something my nanny is doing - she has found a new build flat for £90 rental a week which is around what she gets extra salary-wise for living out as opposed to living in)

expatinscotland Wed 20-Aug-08 11:26:46

Exactly the point I failed to put across, squiffy!

I wouldn't have emailed her.

Just got on with finding another job.

You may find yourself in a difficult spot now, bothered.

Spend the rest of your spare time looking for another job, any job for now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now