Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

wats the rules on nannies, can their bosses claim child tax credits back?

(6 Posts)
rachelmendham Tue 19-Aug-08 12:02:24

hi, im a nanny, someone asked me the other day can she claim back tax credits toward childcare from government if she took me on.
im not a reg childminder, but am qual nanny.
anyone know?

jura Tue 19-Aug-08 12:03:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nannynick Tue 19-Aug-08 19:47:43

In England, it is possible for parents who qualify, to use Childcare element of WTC to part-pay for a nanny. There are max weekly limits on the mount the government provides, thus why I say part-pay, as nannies salaries are often above that max weekly limit.

The nanny needs to meet all the requirements of the Voluntary Ofsted Childcare Register and must be registered on that register.

jura Tue 19-Aug-08 21:51:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

carronh Fri 29-Aug-08 12:35:37

For Scottish Families;
If you employ a nanny who has been introduced via an agency, you can use tax credits/childcare vouchers.

Agencies placing in Scotland are regulated by the Care Commission. You can also look at nursery and nanny agency repoerts on this site www.carecommission.com

woodstock3 Sat 30-Aug-08 21:11:47

like nick said...but in practice it is unusual because most people who earn enough to pay for a nanny earn too much to qualify for WFTC.
she might be thinking about a salary sacrifice or tax break scheme offered through her employer. in that case too you need to be Ofsted registered to qualify, i did this with our nanny and while it was mildly bureaucratic (they insisted on doing their own crb check even tho our nanny is obviously crb checked and there was a long annoying form for both of us to fill out) it wasn't too much trouble for either of us.
it costs £100 to register and the employer should pay this for you (we did for our nanny) as it's her who benefits. you also need a specific first aid qualification, we again paid for our nanny to do this so she could be registered, and liability insurance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now