Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminding Queries....

(13 Posts)
SimpleAsABC Mon 18-Aug-08 17:17:03


I usually post on here as a nanny but recently gave up my nanny job. Unfortunately whilst the children were lovely, I found working for the parents quite restrictive.

Having been off now for a couple of weeks, I'm missing the children and really racking my brains as to what my next step will be. I think nannying is a fantastic career and can't imagine doing anything other than childcare. However, I am aware that the chances of meeting a perfect employer are quite slim as you never really know someone until you are working for them (and I'm sure some parents feel this about their nannies too).

I've decided to try and find out about childminding. By doing so, I'd hope i'd be able to work under my own terms and conditions (whilst obviously meeting the agreed and required needs of parents and children), still be in childcare and hopefully work around other commitments.

The following are my initial questions. I'm sure I will come up with more and they are directed to everyone, nannies, parents and childminders alike as I'd like to build up a full picture of how my idea for a service would be percieved.

Can I childmind from my parents house? It's bought (which I think can be an issue?) but not in my name (as it's theirs), will this make a difference? My parents work long hours and so wouldn't be here but could be disclosed too, if necessary. Is this how it works?

I have a commitment one day a week and would therefore be unable to childmind on that day, would this be off putting to parents?

Costs!! What are the initial costs like? Is there funding to help with these?

Training, am I right in thinking that there is a course but it's not mandatory?

Think that's all I'd thought of for now....


nannynick Mon 18-Aug-08 17:54:19

Yes you could childmind from your parents home. You can childmind from any residential premises for which you have permission to mind, from the home owner.

Anyone living at the property aged 16+ needs to be disclosed (CM2 form I think, assuming you are in England, thus registering under Ofsted) and will need to have a CRB check done.

Some parents may want full-time care Mon-Fri, so by not working one day, that will put them off. But other parents may only require part-time care, so it could suit them.

Funding is rarely available, contact you local EYDCP/Children's Information Service to discuss registering as a childminder. They will be able to tell you if there is any startup funding in your area.

Initial costs will be for safety equipment (fire blanket, stair gates), paperwork (and insurance), plus toys/craft equipment, hand towels, that kind of thing.

Training: you have to do the ICP. Your local CIS will arrange for that to be done.
They will also let you know about other short courses, such as training workshops on EYFS.

nannynick Mon 18-Aug-08 18:03:41

Just did a search... you're in Scotland aren't you?

Probably best to scrap all I put before then, as that is in England, not Scotland. Some of it may be the same, but it might not. I can't offer any advice/guidance for Scotland.

Try this website: Scottish Childminding Association

There are a few childminders who post on here who live in Scotland, so with luck they can post some advice for you.

hennipenni Mon 18-Aug-08 18:03:55

Another course you have to do by law is childrens first aid which you then have to re-new every three years.

SimpleAsABC Mon 18-Aug-08 18:08:24

Is that the same in Scotland Henni Penni?

I've got a number to phone tomorrow morning to speak to my local childminding co ordinator, so I think that'll help. Really wanted personal opinions too, so please keep posting!

Thanks Nick, lots of useful information.

Starting out, what do I need to consider?

Childproofing the house, including?

Materials, would I have to have a huge amount?

Insurance (required and necessary, no questions here), providers?

So just to clarify, Mum, Dad, Sister, would all require disclosure even if they wouldn't be here?

TJ1976 Mon 18-Aug-08 18:10:56

I can answer a couple of your queries as a current cm. It can be a long winded process becoming a cm (also I feel this can be dependant on where you live). Firstly, you will need to contact your local early years organisation (your council will have these details) and book on the introduction to childminding briefing. You will need to attend the ICP training which is mandatory, there is a multiple choice exam at the end of the course at your local college or CACHE centre. This isn't mandatory (at the moment) to sit but if you pass the test you will receive a certificate and you could (if wanted!) proceed with the diploma in homebased childcare. I have heard rumours that the diploma will be mandatory in the future. You will also need to attend a 12hr pediatric first aid course. This all has to be done before you start work (actually unsure on the first aid - you may have 6 months to complete this)

Not sure on the answer to your parents house being used for your setting. Maybe Ofsted can give you some answers on this.

You have a CRB already but not sure what your CRB covers. You will need the enhanced CRB which can take some time to receive.

You will then be dealing with Ofsted and preparing for your registration inspection. You will receive tips along the way on this. It took me about 6 months to go through the process but not sure if this is normal. My CRB held me up for about 4 weeks!

The commitment you have in the week. You may find you'll be taking on partime children rather than a full timers. It might cause an issue but I guess you will find out when you're advertising your

Not sure on costs - these vary from county to county.

Hope this helps.

nannynick Mon 18-Aug-08 18:18:25

SimpleAsABC - please can you confirm the location of the premises from which you would be childminding? The country you are in is most important to know, as things are different in Scotland, NI, Wales from how they are in England.

If in Scotland, then SCMA can arrange insurance. First Aid training is required.

TJ1976 Mon 18-Aug-08 18:20:43

Again..what I have advised in my last post might not be of any help.

Childproofing is priority. stair gates, door stops,keeping medicines in a locked box/cabinet, sharp ojects (knives) kept up high or locked away, plug socket covers, table corners (padded stickers - not sure on their name). Each room used as your setting will need to be looked at from top to bottom. Look for trailing wires, lifted carpet etc. The ICP will cover your Ofsted inspection and prepare you for this.

Sufficient toys. If you don't have any children and have a lack of toys. I had a baby boy when I registered and no toys other than rattles etc! I wrote a wish list of items, books, toys for different age groups, I showed this to Ofsted when registering and they were happy with my choices. I rushed out an bought some toys when I got my first job!

Public liability insurance - NCMA were offering first year for free and free membership.

Home and car isurance for business use to keep in mind as well.

I'm sure I've missed some things out - other postings will fill in the blanks -Good luck!

HappyChildminderBerkshire Mon 18-Aug-08 18:35:03

It took me 7.5 months to register, like others the CRB check took forever! I've paid around £300 for safety, insurance, multicultural toys and books, etc so far. And yes everyone who lives in the house must have a CRB check even if it is unlikely they will be in during the day.

Hope this helps.

SimpleAsABC Mon 18-Aug-08 20:53:35

Ok thanks!

Well i'm in Scotland and have heard through the grape vine that the actual registration process @ it's shortest can take around 12 weeks.

The course available up here is not mandatory (this I know now for sure). Neither is the first aid course but this is something i'd be keen to do for my own peace of mind anyway!

A friend told me today that a friend of a friend paid £300 for smoke alarms? Surely not?!

SimpleAsABC Mon 18-Aug-08 20:56:04

Comment re the Enhanced CRB, can only speak for my own (and friends experiences) and have to say it takes roughly three weeks for one to come back here.

I have a few and have recieved them back in as little as working days. The longest I've ever waited was 15 working days. Counting my lucky stars now!

bookswapper Mon 18-Aug-08 21:39:45

simple....are you edinburgh based? (potential customer alert grin)

SimpleAsABC Tue 19-Aug-08 11:17:13

sorry not unless you want to travel down to ayrshire and back!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: