Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What questions should I ask a Child minder?

(4 Posts)
beanster Mon 18-Aug-08 13:19:06

My DS1 is starting school in September and I am going to see a childminder this week to see if they can do a school pick up for me twice a week. Can anyone give me some advice on what questions to ask and what to check out to see if she is suitable? He has only gone to nursery before and this is my first visit to a childminder. He will need to stay with her from the end of the school day until around 5:30pm

Alambil Mon 18-Aug-08 13:29:06

I just did this today; I knew her off the playground though so it was more "find out where I live" than anything...

I asked about food; they're always really hungry after school so I've said I'll take a small packed snack for him to leave in the mornings. She said they get a small sweet after school which I'm fine with; you may want to ask if she will or you need to provide food? We discussed his medications and things if he needs them and signed some paperwork.

I had a look round as we were chatting and saw she's got a well equipped playroom and the telly is on for the oldies (as opposed to 2yr olds I mean) when they just want to chillout after school which is fine by me and just got a "feel" for the place really.

PootyApplewater Mon 18-Aug-08 13:33:49

I'd ask about how she disciplines the children.

Whether she walks from school, or takes a car.

If car, check car seat/booster seat situation.
Ask how many other children will be there when your DS is, and ask their ages.

Check her documentation; ask for references, and follow them up.

beanster Mon 18-Aug-08 13:35:26

Thanks Lewisfan. I was hoping to have a few to choose from but have only found one available and she can only do 2 days a week. I want to make sure that I am not just rushing at finding someone and that I find the right person.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now