Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny-mums I need advice please!!

(3 Posts)
mogs0 Thu 14-Aug-08 21:10:44

Since having ds (6yrs) I've either nannyed part-time or been a childminder at home.

I moved at the beginning of the year and still haven't sorted out my cm registration but have been nannying p/t. I applied for a nanny job not long after I moved but they'd already filled the position. The family have just got in touch again to ask if I'd be interested in the job.

They have 3 children, eldest is 6. It's full-time.

I'm just not sure how I feel about full-time hours. I'm worried that ds will find it hard. So I wondered if anyone has any advice.

My first reaction was to say no but as the days are going by I'm kind of warming to the idea. I haven't actually met the family yet so this is just hypothetical!!

squiffy Fri 15-Aug-08 13:57:13

Why not go and meet the family and find out more about their needs?

One thing that you learn as a nanny employer is that it is far far more important to find the right person than it is to find the right fit in terms of hours. They may not really want/need you for some of the hours so you could negotiate something you are more comfortable with. And it gives you a chance to explain that you might have after-school/holiday problems with your own son.

Tehre's no harm in being open and seeing if they are flexible. Far better than agreeing to something you are not comfortable with....

imananny Fri 15-Aug-08 14:30:23

def go and meet the family, you may love them smile

i will say after working for 15years 5 days a week, I LOVE working part time, and would find it VERY hard to go back to doing 5 days a week, every week, PLUS you are a mum, and you will have 4 under 6 to care for - if you take your own son

but go and see first

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now