Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Paid holiday for childminders

(5 Posts)
gonaenodaethat Thu 14-Aug-08 15:21:24

Not sure about this. Friend asked me for advice.

She works as a teacher and pays her childminder half as a retainer in the school holidays.
Her LO never goes during this time.
The childminder is going on holiday for 2.5 weeks during term time.
Should my friend be paying her while she is away? Obviously she has had to make alternative arrangements during this time as her own holidays are completely inflexible. She thinks the CM is expecting to be paid as normal but is not sure if this is the norm.

Thanks

MaureenMLove Thu 14-Aug-08 15:28:38

As an ex-CM I would say no, she shouldn't have to pay. If I was not available to work, then a parent wouldn't pay. Some, however do expect paid holidays. It really is entirely up to each CM individually. Totally normal, however for your friend to be paying a retainer for the holidays. She needs to keep the place free for her return in September, so should be paid.

islandofsodor Thu 14-Aug-08 15:30:16

She should have checked in the contract before her child started with the childminder.

As a parent I would find it unacceptible to pay a childminder for days she was unavailable to work, however I would never have signed up to these terms, some parents are happy to do so, I wouldn;t be.

funnypeculiar Thu 14-Aug-08 15:32:22

Different CMS do different things in these circs - she needs to check her contract, I'm afraid.

gonaenodaethat Thu 14-Aug-08 15:34:31

Thanks Maureen. She is totally happy to pay the retainer and agrees that it's more than reasonable esp as she has 13wks holiday.

Thanks for the advice. I will pass it on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now