Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Is it possible to find a nanny at a week's notice?

(9 Posts)
Nettee Wed 13-Aug-08 18:18:21

I find myself without a nanny and I am returning to work next Wednesday. I really could cry - in fact I have. I am just so daunted by the thought of yet more interviews, short lists and trial days all to be fitted into one short week. It really does seem to be a very fickle world - my lovely mothers' help had two sole charge jobs lined up and then cancelled at the last minute and this is the second nanny to change her mind for me. Is it always this hard?

Earlybird Wed 13-Aug-08 18:21:35

I wouldn't rush such an important decision - you might get lucky, you might live to regret it.

I've used temporarily out-of-work nannies to fill in when the situation called for it. That might be a good stop-gap until you can find the right person.

nannyL Wed 13-Aug-08 18:22:56

wishing you luck

you may find some nanny agencys will give you a temp person while you do a 'proper' hunt.

most nannies give at least 4 weeks notice (often more, i like to give at least 2 months notice) so i think you might find it hard to find a good nanny who hasnt got her work sorted for next week.

However im sure agencys could find you temp while you look properly.

Dynamicnanny Wed 13-Aug-08 18:29:05

Where are you netee

nannyma Wed 13-Aug-08 19:04:41

hi nettee.. if you are in London I can help you till end of August as I am free and you gonna have more time to find right person

lindseyfox Wed 13-Aug-08 19:05:04

if its for next week plenty of teachers on school hols and student children nurses and student teachers who nanny in hols, look on your local gumtree and netmums and see if they are around.

imananny Thu 14-Aug-08 09:27:44

agree with nannyl - i have 2 months notice in my contract - do very unlilely that a good nanny will be free and availble next week - unless a temp

def dont rush into finding a nanny, if possible I would ring agencies and hire a temp nanny for a month to give you some breathing space while you hubt for the perfect nanny - yes more exspensive - but not in the long run iykwim

where are you?I might be able to help?

Nettee Thu 14-Aug-08 17:28:18

Thanks for your messages of support and advice. I have got onto the local agency and they have come up with some possible temps. It will all be ok I am sure. I am not in London which is probably part of my problem!

Nannyshh Thu 14-Aug-08 18:02:19

Hi Netee, where abouts are you? if your nearish to Northamptonshire I can be of assistance to you!
Regards
Lyndseyx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now