Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

cm club - help with assistants and variations please!

(12 Posts)
eleanorsmum Wed 13-Aug-08 10:46:33

Hi all.

I just need to write this down and see what you think about my plan! need to keep legal too!
am potentially taking on new mindee from early nov but this will mean i would be over my numbers for6 weeks as dd does not start full time school till january. i have the option of my mum having her for the three days i would be over my numbers a week (one mindee is part time) so do i need to tell ofsted or get a variation? i don't want to lose the new mindee as they would be ideal as they are term time only!

secondly - doing this eyps which i hope to start in llate sept i need to be free to go to uni every friday and one day a month. now i don't want to start messing people around so for continituy of care thoguth i might employ an assisiatnt. i have someone in mind but woukld they need to do the introducotry course? she is already crb checked and is doing her nvq2 at the moment. i would be paying her.

hope this makes sense! let me have your thoughts!

southernbelle77 Wed 13-Aug-08 14:46:32

With regard to the variation, you do need to ask ofsted for variation even if dd not with you as she is still your responsibilty itms. I did the same as needed it til dd starts school full time in Sept, telling ofsted the days she isn't with me. They granted it within a week so hopefully you would have no problems.

Can't help with second issue, sorry.

eleanorsmum Wed 13-Aug-08 17:09:54

thanks sb! how do apply for a variation then? please!

southernbelle77 Wed 13-Aug-08 19:27:12

No probs!

You need to write to them saying what you need and what days etc. You then have to explain how you will cope with 4 under 5's ie travel, space, toys etc. Also you need to include a grid too. I can send you the templates if you give me your email address

eleanorsmum Wed 13-Aug-08 20:28:37

yes please! keri dot bradley at tiscali dot co dot uk

am i right in thinking i need to do this even though dd will not be here, she will be at my mums.

southernbelle77 Thu 14-Aug-08 06:52:44

Yes that is right. As far as Ofsted are concerned, she is still your responsibilty as if she couldn't go to your mums for whatever reason then you would be over your numbers without a variation. As I say though, I didn't have a problem getting the variation and it was the same thing.

Will email you the templates now. I will send the letter I sent so you can see the basics and then you can either amend it or write your own. Same with the grid!

eleanorsmum Thu 14-Aug-08 07:54:28

thanks sb they look great. do you think i could just get the variation without farming out dd? its for 6 weeks in nov and dec. mum would have to work shorter hours for the duration.

tulip31 Thu 14-Aug-08 08:27:28

Sorry for butting in (sb and em) but would you be able to send me a copy of the templates as well, I have a similar situation happening (but not until May next year)? Thanks

KatyMac Thu 14-Aug-08 14:29:23

Assistants can only have sole charge for up to 2 hrs a day

So maybe you need t employ or train a childminder

southernbelle77 Thu 14-Aug-08 14:38:58

EM, I have a variation for 4 days a week and only farm dd out 1 day so I don't see why you would have a problem getting it!!

busymum1 Thu 14-Aug-08 19:48:54

just been granted variation for 3 years to have 2 under 1 mindees ds2 today and 2yr old mindee as well as mindee age 6 and dd1 age 6 so all you can do is ask I emailed them they emailed me form I emailed back as long as you can put signature on email maybe quicker

navyeyelasH Thu 14-Aug-08 20:00:45

Assistants also don't need to do the course they just need to fill in a CM2 form and I think that's it!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: