Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

giving med etc

(8 Posts)
jillyj Wed 13-Aug-08 09:43:37

when does not giving children any form of med unless from a gp come into force. is it september with eyfs.

littleducks Wed 13-Aug-08 10:08:28

not a cm, but i think that is mad! i try not to waste my gps time by dealing with minor illnesses and things like teething myself, a sentiment i thiought the nhs was following as i believe pharmacists now give out medicine to those who have free prescriptions for teething gels and calpol etc.

if you went to dr and were prescribed calpol would that be acceptable as the bottle has a pharmacy label on, then could you keep refiloling the bottle with ordinary calpol...?

looneytune Wed 13-Aug-08 10:16:48

I AM a childminder and totally agree. I personally would not NOT give a child medicine if they suddenly needed it and parents were happy for them to have it, just because of bloomin red tape!! Yes, I could get in trouble for that but I'd rather risk getting into trouble if it was beneficial for the child. I know I'll get shot for saying that but I just happen to care more about the child, the rest is to cover ME isn't it so it's my risk.

jillyj Wed 13-Aug-08 13:12:38

i agree to but its all part of the safe guarding children and we have to state it in our policies. just wondered if it was sept we had to start it from?sad

ayla99 Wed 13-Aug-08 14:14:40

Not any more, its been changed grin I imagine they got a lot of feedback about this.

www.teachernet.gov.uk/teachingandlearning/EYFS/clarificationsandfaqs/

May providers give children medicines which have not been prescribed for them e.g. pain and fever relief and teething gel?

Yes. We have amended the statutory guidance in the EYFS to reflect that providers may give children non-prescription medication when they have prior written consent from the parent and when there is a health need to do so. However, children should never be given medicine containing aspirin unless it has been prescribed by a doctor.

jillyj Wed 13-Aug-08 14:24:25

oh wow. thats fab. thank you

looneytune Wed 13-Aug-08 21:40:38

Oh great, thought it was all bonkers, pleased to hear they have rethought this

2point4kids Thu 14-Aug-08 09:29:50

Glad it has been changed. What a ridiculous rule in the first place!!
My DS1 has convulsions if his temp gets high and is not given calpol quickly. If the rule not to give medicine was in place then I would not be able to leave him in childcare full stop!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now