Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

childminder not really needed any more, how to approach?

(6 Posts)
Gemzooks Wed 13-Aug-08 08:59:07

DS started going to a nursery and was unhappy there, and so I started an arrangement with another mum from playgroup that she would collect him at 4 pm each day and look after him till I came at 6 (she is lovely and he was much happier with her than in the horrible nursery). This lasted for the 3 months he was in the nursery.

But two months ago we changed nursery, and the new one is fantastic. He is really happy there. I work 3 days a week from 7-5 and so actually can get to the nursery to pick him up by 5.30 no probs, and on days I have picked him up from nursery he's been perfectly happy, playing outside with the other children.

I've asked her to pick him up at 4.30 instead of 4, but ít's now starting to seem ridiculous as I can get there myself by 5 or 5.30. However, it is useful on those occasions when I want to work late, and I am pg again and have a view to her possibly doing as -needed care for the baby or DS in the future. She lives 5 minutes walk from us and is a very kind and caring person.

What should I do, should I tell her not to pick him up any more? It's really difficult to say, and I hate confrontation.. any advice appreciated!

MaureenMLove Wed 13-Aug-08 09:14:34

If she is a registered childminder, which I assume she is, she is a professional and should realise that peoples situations change all the the time, when their lo's are young.

I know, I was never suprised when a parent told me they had to stop coming or change hours etc.

You need to be upfront and tell her what's going on. The longer you leave it, the worse things will get.

Gemzooks Wed 13-Aug-08 09:38:40

no, not registered she's just another mother from playgroup, who I trust. I'm sure she would be ok with it, she's not unreasonable or anything, it's just I haven't really decided yet..

jillyj Wed 13-Aug-08 09:44:51

do you pay her?

Gemzooks Wed 13-Aug-08 09:45:40

yes, pay 7 Eur per hour (the going rate in Holland where we are).

MaureenMLove Wed 13-Aug-08 10:19:01

Ok, I'm sure you are abiding by whatever rules you have for childcarers in Holland, but I still feel that honesty is the best policy.

Just have a chat with her. Explain that you feel that DS would benefit from being at nursery all day now, but in light of the fact you are pg again, you would very much like her to possibly help out with No.2. At least if you upset her now, you've got time to get yourself sorted before No,2 comes along. I'm sure you're worrying over nothing though! Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now