Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

HELP!!!! HOW MUCH SHOULD I CHARGE?????

(42 Posts)
CHERBEAR1 Tue 12-Aug-08 20:13:55

HI, I LIVE IN THE MIDLANDS JSU ON THE OUT SKIRTS OF LEICESTER AND COVENTRY. I AM IN THE PROCESS OF SETTING UP A SMALL CHILDCARE BUSINESS, COMPROMISING OF NANNYING AND BABYSITTING. I NEED TO RESEARCH HOW MUCH PARENTS ARE WILLING TO PAY PER CHILD PER HOUR. CONSIDERING I WILL HAVE PUBLIC LIABILITY, CAR INSUANCE. ONE TO ONE SUPERVISION, TAKE TO PLAY GROUPS ECT.
APPRECIATE ANY RESPONSE.
THANX CHER

TOPGAL50@AOL.COM

nannynick Tue 12-Aug-08 20:20:46

Opps, think you caps lock key got stuck grin

You need to research the local market. Very typically I would say that it would probably be in the £7-£11 per hour gross range.

Flum Tue 12-Aug-08 20:22:54

For sole care of one families children say £7-10 per hour.

For childminding type thing eg a few kids from different mums £3-5 per hour per kid.

AtheneNoctua Tue 12-Aug-08 22:32:10

comprising, not compromising hmm

imananny Wed 13-Aug-08 00:23:09

she obv didnt read our replies last time athene - wonder what she is promising grin

when advertising ALWAYS spell check and proof read your ad - make you look unprofessional if their are mistakes in it

same reply as before cherbear

puzzled by your advert - the wording seeems a little strange - using the word considering as if you are doing something not of the norm for nannies [puzzled]

ALL nannies should have pl insurance,car insurance,obv we are one to one (or 2/3 if siblings) and our job is to take them to places ie M&T as well as playing and teaching them

people will pay what they can afford and what they think the nanny is worth - some jobs I have gone for have been advertised at £X and I have asked for more, and got it

what excalty are you looking for jobwise?

imananny Wed 13-Aug-08 00:25:36

bugger - teach me to read my reply before i post grin- though my ads on the internet are perfect smile

- there not their!!

nbee84 Wed 13-Aug-08 06:59:53

exactly - not excalty wink [devils face]

lindseyfox Wed 13-Aug-08 15:23:42

hello i am a childrens nurse and night nanny/proxy parent in leicestershire. you are looking at £7-£10 an hr depending on your quals and experience.

I have 14yrs childcare exp inc babysitting and lots of baby experience so I charge £10 net an hr, admittley I am not inundated with work but have enough to keep me going just done a 6mth night nanny job and am still proxy parenting for them ad-hoc.

CHERBEAR1 Wed 13-Aug-08 18:37:05

Hi, sorry if i didnt read your replies last time i could not find the message i had written, their are that many on here!!!

I am in the process of researching my local market at the moment, i have questionaires which am in the process of asking people.
i have rang some local agencies, childminders, and nurseries to see how much they charge.

I have been told i could charge as much as:
child 1: 7.50
child 2: 12.00
child 3: 15.00
now to me this is alot of money, though i am not quite sure. it would be great if i could charge this much!!!
(sorry i have lost the pound sign on computer, wish partner would stop messing around with it!!)

I have a Diploma in childcare and education L3, currently studing for a foundation degree, first Aid certificate, ofsted registered(in the process, public liability insurance, working with local council.

CHER
P.S hope this is up to standard!!!

CHERBEAR1 Wed 13-Aug-08 18:42:06

hi lindseyfox,
thanx for your reply, i really appreciate it.
do you think i would get enough work, considering you said thier isnt much in your area??
i already work part-time as a nanny.
if you dont mind me asking where abouts in leicestershire are you from?
do you do much advertising?, if so where do you advertise.
cher x

lindseyfox Wed 13-Aug-08 19:02:02

i am nr j21 of m1.

i advertise on gumtree, nannyjob, netmums

cant really say if you would get a lot of work, mine tends to be word of mouth and through agencise.

think families like the peace of mind in knowing I am a qualified childrens nurse. I do alot of work with babies, I also travel upto an hr away but do charge families for travelling if over 15mins.

recently got paid £12 an hr for babysitting for 2 babies under 5mths and a 2yr old at a hotel plus £30 in travelling costs.

Think its about getting yourself known and getting a good reputation.

Maybe you need to do some work for lower rates than you expect to get yourself out there and some local references.

CHERBEAR1 Wed 13-Aug-08 21:13:38

thanx flum,
really appreciate your help.
cher

CHERBEAR1 Wed 13-Aug-08 21:14:33

thanx nannynick,
appreciate the help.
cher

imananny Thu 14-Aug-08 09:22:50

cherbear you prob couldnt find our reply's as you keep posting on old postsgrin so good to start your own - you can also then find it more easily smile

I have been told i could charge as much as:
child 1: 7.50
child 2: 12.00
child 3: 15.00

I am puzzled by your above comment - are you saying that the more children you have the more you earn - like a cm? or that if you pick a family that has 3 children that they pay you more than one family with one child?

prob me being thick,doing a lot of night work at mo,and brain is tired

regards to advertising - i have ads on netmums, gumtree and nj and get a lot of work, but i am in a different area to you

I charge £10 per hr - regardless of one child or - though one is nicer/easier grin

CHERBEAR1 Thu 14-Aug-08 15:31:29

"imananny" thanx for replying,

yes abit like a CM, i would like to earn more money the more children i have.

I have been thinking abit more through doing my research:
1 child: 7.50
2 children: 10.00
3 children: 12.50
4+ children 15:00

I would like to be like a nanny agency but without the annual fees and membership parents need to pay for.
its just abit stressful at the moment.
i hope i will do well, the mum who i work for at the moment tells people that she couldnt live without me. so thats nice to hear. i dont want to look to cheap though not to exspensive either.
in a few years i would like to develop the business further and have people work for me!

imananny Thu 14-Aug-08 15:54:14

so where would you be looking after these children?

their home or yours?

botherednanny Thu 14-Aug-08 15:58:46

maybe I'm being stupid but I really haven't the slightest clue what you are hoping to achieve??

CHERBEAR1 Thu 14-Aug-08 16:31:18

in their home!

all im doing is being a self employed nanny/babysitter going to peoples homes. and need help on how mcu to charge!
(classed as a homecarer due to the fact you cannot be a self employed nanny).

CHERBEAR1 Thu 14-Aug-08 16:32:40

sorry- much

squiffy Thu 14-Aug-08 16:34:15

I'm lost on this one too - is this a childminding business or a nannying business? Every nanny has public liability, car insurance, taking to play gorups? Cannot for the life of me work out what this 'new' idea is....

squiffy Thu 14-Aug-08 16:37:43

Oh. X-posts. you want to do nannying on a temp basis for more than one family at a time?

Well the going rate is around £9 gross per hour in South East, less I guess in Midlands. As a nanny you don't get more money for more children. you might get a little more if you provide emergency support, but how will you do that if you are already booked up on a one-to-one basis with another family?

CHERBEAR1 Thu 14-Aug-08 16:45:12

no its not a childminding business.
i will be offering childcare to who ever needs it.
like an agency!
it will be mostly for the babysitting sides as i already work in the mornings.

yes Squiffy you got it lol!

CHERBEAR1 Thu 14-Aug-08 16:48:44

sad

lindseyfox Thu 14-Aug-08 17:18:01

I really would recommend rather than doing this on your own registering with local agencies as a temp, emergency nanny as families in the east midlands do tend to use agencies unless they have been given your details by another family.

imananny Thu 14-Aug-08 17:28:48

dont want to piss on your bonfire,but if you work mornings, you are unlikely to be able to help famillies who NEED childcare asap - whose children prob have nursery/activites etc - as gen if a family needs emergancy child care, they would want and need all day

if you are planning on doing mainly bs, then most nannies get cash and dont declare it

i am still puzzled by the way you would work out fees

I have been thinking abit more through doing my research:
1 child: 7.50
2 children: 10.00
3 children: 12.50
4+ children 15:00

if you had 4 children from 4 different famillies, how would they pay the £15 - ie 3.50 each - yet you say 1 child is 7.50

a mum needing childcare with 4 children wont want to pay £15 ph, when she could get someone for 8-10ph

am i making sense to anyone, or have i got the wrong end of the stick of what cherbear is trying to say? [puzzled]

also sure I read on another site that a nanny cant look after 3famillies children a day - only 2 - think MM wont insure you - and cant have more than 7 children at one time

Nick - is this right?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now