Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Would I be asking my friend to break the law

(8 Posts)
fleacircus Tue 12-Aug-08 17:15:36

...if I ask her to look after DD one day while I'm at work, just as a one off? My mum is going to take care of her regularly once a week but has a meeting on this one occasion. DD would be at my friend's house, friend has her own DS about the same age (both under one), I wouldn't be paying her and it certainly isn't going to be a regular arrangement. But I don't want to ask her if it's illegal!

And actually, now I look at it written down, is it unreasonable to ask anyway?

LIZS Tue 12-Aug-08 17:20:13

CM's are only allowed one under 1 so I think she could find it hard going anyway. As a one off it isn't a problem, but any sort of regularity or reward could be. She could come to yours though.

nannynick Tue 12-Aug-08 18:30:27

It would not be breaking the law if it was a one off, as currently it is permitted for up to 6 days per year. From September 2008 that rises to 14 days per year, subject to Ofsted being informed.

Yes, it's reasonable to ask... if your friend wanted the same thing, they would probably ask you. Your friend could always say no, if they didn't want to care for your DD all day.

imananny Tue 12-Aug-08 19:47:00

I would just see it as an extra long play date smile

OldLadyKnowsNothing Wed 13-Aug-08 03:46:42

OK, I'm showing my age, but I find it desperately sad that this question even had to be asked.

Of course it's not illegal.

*holds tongue*

SuperBunnyisUnderRated Wed 13-Aug-08 03:57:21

SO what happens with twins then? Can a childminder not look after twins if they are under 1 yr old?

I'm amazed at this - I stayed home with DS and watched my friends DS full time when they were both 3 months old. It really wasn't a problem.

Spagblog Wed 13-Aug-08 06:52:49

Why would it be illegal for your friend to look after your child?

I look after my friends kids and she looks after mine occassionally

LIZS Wed 13-Aug-08 10:22:49

CMs can get special dispensation from Ofsted for twins. I think the rules are based on protecting registered Child Minders (who declare their income, are CRB checked and regulated, and are insured) and therefore the children. Someone can still look after the children in their(the children's) own home or casually if not for reward(which may not be purely financial, could be a reciprocal arrangement)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now