Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Yay!!! I have a new nanny... and I just know she is going to be fab.

(77 Posts)
AtheneNoctua Tue 12-Aug-08 14:20:40

Well the kids do actually. I hate the nanny hunt and am so glad it's come to a close. I am also sad about current one leaving. But, at the same time, I am looking forward to getting to know the new one.

Now... Who wants to remind me what I should put in my house rules? The contract is written and agreed. Just need to put together house rules, welcome pack, local area info (like transport schedules, where the school is, etc.)

Oh, and nannies out there, can you give me some ideas for a welcome gift? Nothing terribly expensive say £50 or so. I was thinking nice flowers or maybe a voucher for a treatment at the spa/gym we go to (where she will also have a membership). Or, there is a fab Indian restaurant near us, so maybe a voucher there would be good (dinner for two would cost about £50).

BradfordMum Tue 12-Aug-08 14:53:08

How about holding onto the gift til she's been with you a month. It'll be a lovely surprise for her.
If you give it to her on arrival, she may think she's onto a cushy number and not try as hard! Just my opinion!

Sally

AtheneNoctua Tue 12-Aug-08 16:25:41

I see everyone is so overwhelmed with joy for me that they are all speechless.

Bradford,
Hmmm... I could hold off on it, but I think it would help her settle in and would be nice for the kids (the gift can be from them and will help them feel like they are part of the new arrival).

OMG.... totally forgot about going away pressie for old nanny (whom we love). bugeer. what should I get her (keeping in mind the budget is already stretched this month)

whatanuttermess Tue 12-Aug-08 16:33:19

I hope it all goes well for you. You sound like a lovely person to work for, very thoughtful.

I think some lovely posh smelly things and flowers (from your children) would be a lovely gift to help her settle.

imananny Wed 13-Aug-08 00:16:34

fab news my little owlsmile

hope she works out for you x

imananny Wed 13-Aug-08 00:48:15

sorry - forgot to add pressie ideas -

thats what happens when I work nights - brain goes!! blush

a meal for 2 would be nice but so would a pamper voucher - she could chose a nice back/head massage etc

would suggest toiletres once you get to know what she likes - now me,i LOVE lush stuff, as my lovely mb knows and gets me it - but some say its like bathing in your own shit shock

cinema tickets?

erm ...... brain now needs sleep - will think when im asleep and add tomorrow if I have a brainwavesmile

squiffy Wed 13-Aug-08 08:55:52

Oooo really good news.

I will mail you my house rules - have just finished re-writing because we have new AP coming next Tuesday to help out nanny (I might be going back fulltime).

I think Indian might not be best way to go because she may not have anyone to take. I reckon that if your gym has any spa treatmetns you could book her up for a massage of give her a voucher.

Also, I was amazed the other week at how touched a friend of mine was by one of those really really expensive candles, which I got her as a gift. It was one of those things that she said she would never ever buy herself because too expensive a treat, and that was half of the thrill (she also mailed to say it smelt heavenly compared to the £5 candles you normally buy yourself at xmas.... the one I got was £49 in Molton Brown, I think the diptyque ones are around £35 in John Lewis/Fenwick... might be a nice touch for her to put in her room.

Oh and I had fab sad news from my current nannybliss - her relationship with Manchester Boyfriend is all off, so she will be staying with us after all and not movign up to North at some point...

QuintessentialShadows Wed 13-Aug-08 09:00:27

Good News nightowl!

I like the spa treatment voucher idea - especially if they also sell products.

LoveMyGirls Wed 13-Aug-08 09:03:04

I'm in the wrong job, your nanny is one lucky lady!

IAmNotHere Wed 13-Aug-08 09:12:10

House rules: no drinkin' smokin' swearin' shoutin' or shootin'
no dru - sod it
No Pete Doherty or Amy Winehouse-like behaviour
Who's allowed in and overnight guests
What doors get locked when and where the keys are.
What to do when the electricity cuts out/water pours from tap and won't switch off/smell of gas etc.
Rules of replacing last of the milk/where the shopping list is kept

Is she into spa treatments?
If not, maybe bung some money on a phone card for her to call home (if she's forrin)
Present lovely idea - bunch of flowers in her room, cards from dcs, nice candle and a box of chocs?

AtheneNoctua Wed 13-Aug-08 22:06:04

For the Indian, I was thinking she could take next door's nanny with her. Also because next doors nanny was very helpful last week when my nanny had to get in an ambulance with DS because he whacked his head on the roundabout and gave himself a concussion. DD stayed next door and then next doors nanny had to lon my nanny taxi money to get home from the hospital. ANyway, was thinking it would be nice for both of them to go out... but then was also thinking that new nanny might like to choose her own friends so not sure if she would really want me to arrange her dinner campanion for her.

Yes, maybe the spa thing is a better idea after all. I can just get her a voucher and she can choose the treatment / products she likes.

HandbagAddiction Thu 14-Aug-08 12:45:41

I'm going through the process of thinking of house rules myself. Other things I have on my list include:

No shoes upstairs
No food or drink (apart from water and or milk) upstairs

Also:
What are you thoughts on food / drink in the living room
Rules on snacks - what can/can't they eat and when
TV watching - what programs and when

Ermmmmm - I'm sure there are more, I just can't think right now....

imananny Thu 14-Aug-08 13:02:52

if you have a live in nanny, think its a bit mean not to allow them to eat/drink in their room - they might want to eat their tea in peace/alone somedays

jura Thu 14-Aug-08 13:08:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

jura Thu 14-Aug-08 13:09:27

imananny Thu 14-Aug-08 13:23:52

why odd jura?

squiffy Thu 14-Aug-08 13:28:02

ooo, gossip. I am all ears, Jura wink

Agree v odd regarding drinks/food (though I do have clause in my rules that entitles me to go into their room if it smells, so I can't really talk about oddities).

coolj Thu 14-Aug-08 14:10:06

Hi Athene sorry to hear about DS. Hope he is ok. Bet that gave you a bit of a fright. Glad to hear you have found yourself a new nanny. Hope you had a good holiday. Lovely to meet you all. grin

AtheneNoctua Thu 14-Aug-08 14:35:32

Hiya, Coolj. Boy were they displeased with me when I made them leave you. Glad they had a nice time. grin

He's okay now. Although they do all (DD, DS, and DN) now have a puking bug. So like any selfish employer/mum would do, I ran out of the house and came to work so as not to catch it from them today. Nanny said she was okay and I did to tell her to call me if she wasn't really okay. Suspect they are all watching movies with puke buckets in there hands all day. I know I know, I deserve cowardly bad employer and mum of the year award.

Yes, Jura, tell us about the odd au pair. Enquiring minds want to know! OMG, must go put "close up the cheese properly or else!" on the house rules.

botherednanny Thu 14-Aug-08 20:17:36

I swear I must be the only nanny who gets frustrated at my employers for not wrapping up the cheese... it drives me mental! such a waste!!

jura Thu 14-Aug-08 21:15:09

AtheneNoctua Fri 15-Aug-08 16:37:31

BN, you made me laugh outloud. Wish my nannies cared about food waste. envy

Jura, I was okay until "She is designing a space rocket " What?!?!?!

She is going to forever be know on here as the "Odd Au Pair"

If she is putting lots of things in this space rocket won't they float around and bump into the astronauts when they are in space?

jura Fri 15-Aug-08 17:00:19

jura Fri 15-Aug-08 17:02:05

AtheneNoctua Fri 15-Aug-08 18:10:08

Better you than me. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now