Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Questions to ask temp nanny?

(5 Posts)
dairymoo Mon 11-Aug-08 20:35:36

I am meeting a prospective nanny tomorrow (who I have already met casually) and don't know what sort of questions I should be asking her.

I have 1yo DTs and she will potentially be looking after them one day a week every few weeks.

I'm going to ask for references and discuss the financial arrangement but other than seeing how she handles my LOs, what should I be doing??

Thanks!

Nettee Mon 11-Aug-08 21:20:28

I based my list of questions around this. I don't ask all of them and have added some relevant to me but it is a good start.

SimpleAsABC Tue 12-Aug-08 10:57:50

I think this may be what Netteei means but be sure to ask things like:

I'd like to leave you a list of activities to do every day (or) you'll have free rein, carte blanche, total responsibility - how do you feel about this?

What I'm trying to say is focus on your least attractive traits, are you picky? A stickler for....?

Then @ least 6m down the line the nanny only has herself to blame if she finds it isn't working out.

Oh dear, just re read that and my whole outlook on this is now very pessimestic isn't it?

dairymoo Tue 12-Aug-08 13:34:06

Haha - not at all ABC, thanks for replying. And Nettee - very useful list!

I didn't even think to ask about her first aid qualifications blush so I need all the help I can get!

AtheneNoctua Tue 12-Aug-08 14:13:35

I would chat with her for a while and then step back and see how she does at taking over. For example, should the phone happen to ring and you go answer it, does she sit in the chair reading or does she get down on the floor and play with the twins (assumming they are in the room).

Otherwise, I would chat about experience, why she wants to be a nanny, etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now