Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

first time nanny tips and creative things to do with a 4, nearly 5 year old!

(9 Posts)
fairibell Mon 11-Aug-08 15:32:26

I will be starting my first nannying position in October, looking after a 9 month old during the day and a 4, nearly 5 year old boy before and after school. I will also be bringing my daughter, who will be almost 5 months.

Really just looking for any tips/advice etc - I have been a primary school teacher for the last 5 years, but realise that nannying will be a whole new kettle of fish!!

So what is going to help me get the little ones into a routine? best things to do/avoid?

Have been to the park with the mum and children once already and will be meeting them tomorrow, I have suggested at their house so her little boy can show me his bedroom/toys etc. Going to suggest I could do a few afternoons baby sitting before I start too...

Any ideas for activities for 5 year old boy? tends to get bored easily with noone to play with etc - looking for things other than the obvious painting, cooking, playdoh, gardening - thinking of in school holidays getting him to take pics of where we go/things we do etc and keeping a scrap book with drawings etc too... what else is a bit different?

any nannying tips greatly appreciated!!

thanks so much!

Dynamicnanny Mon 11-Aug-08 15:38:39

I think like you said its important to do stuff wih the older one too - especially as there will now be 2 little ones getting the attention.

Things we like to do are treasure hunts, Bike rides - if you put the babies in a double buggy you can push round a natural park etc with him on his bike, soft play, we have parties like sports days, teddy bear picnics, paddling pool parties. Is there a sure start centre near you hey run things during the summer - I love their art classes and we also go to another one where you have a themed lunch with other children and parents. A trip to the zoo/farm and pet shop is also great fun andyou can pick up books at the library about them so you can research any animal you find interesting.

Where abouts are you?

stealthsquiggle Mon 11-Aug-08 15:47:46

If he will be just starting school then I would not set your sights too high - he will be shattered after school for a while.

Nature notebook? Library sounds good, or other (ideally free) sessions where he can play with others?

fairibell Mon 11-Aug-08 16:30:28

yeh he will be at school, was thinking more long term and in the holidays!!

fairibell Mon 11-Aug-08 16:37:07

oo and we are near junction 11 of the M4!!

any tips on the younger 2? obviously as a primary teacher I don't have much experience with the age group yet! Hoping to get them both into a similar routine... am I being really unrealistic?

Dynamicnanny Mon 11-Aug-08 16:53:23

I think you'll find having the babies in the same routine hard as there are 4 months between them

Just be yourself and enjoy them and it will all work out

fairibell Mon 11-Aug-08 18:44:27

Yep wasn't expecting miracles! just hoping can fit my little one eating at a similar time to hers!

fairibell Mon 11-Aug-08 18:44:28

Yep wasn't expecting miracles! just hoping can fit my little one eating at a similar time to hers!

southernbelle77 Mon 11-Aug-08 19:16:45

I am a cm, not a nanny but having little ones is probably the same! I find that even with age differences, routines all start to fall into place anyway. With school runs etc the learn (and so do you) when things need to start and finish and they adapt accordingly! At least I have been lucky enough that that is the case!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now