Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

EYPS yes P not F! anyone done it, doing it, know about it?

(26 Posts)
eleanorsmum Sun 10-Aug-08 17:15:15

Early Tears Professional Status. I am hoping to do it from sept and have an interview for it tom morn. I have to do a presentation for 2 mins on a useful resource and how it promotes the EYFS. I am going to take my home made bottles with liquids and different sounds in btu what are my offcial links with yfs with that! I'm not really sure what they are looking for! help anyone?

KatyMac Sun 10-Aug-08 17:18:27

Did you used to link to Birth to three - it's like that

try here

eleanorsmum Sun 10-Aug-08 17:28:37

thanks for the link katy! thats part of my problem - i never did bt3 as when i did my training they kept telling us not to bother as eyfs was coming and now everyone keeps saying eyfs is just like bt3 which i never studied! so i've got alot of learning to do!

KatyMac Sun 10-Aug-08 17:31:31

So +liquids & sounds would link to
A competent learner:Being imaginative:playing imaginatively with materials using all the senses

In B23

Umm EYFS

Umm Let me get my pack

KatyMac Sun 10-Aug-08 17:35:52

Possibly

A unique child:Inclusive practice

Or Positive Relationships:Supported Learning

or Enabling Environments: Th eLearning Environment

Or Learning & Development:Play & Exploration

But I haven't worked out the next level yet

(But I'm working on it)

eleanorsmum Sun 10-Aug-08 18:09:37

yes - i thoguht learning and development - play and exploration as it leads the child to explore the different materials and sounds they make. we quite often make new ones and see what sounds different things make so its led by them wanting to explore.

KatyMac Sun 10-Aug-08 18:25:01

Be carful though because with B23 there was exploring & discvering and that could have been used for 90% of opportunities

I think 'play and exploration' could be seen the same way

Remember to say how it could be done outside

remember 50% of all activities should be utside

NumberFour Sun 10-Aug-08 20:28:27

Hi, Eleanorsmum
I am also applying for EYFS and have an interview at a university on 29 Aug to see what pathway I should follow. I have no idea what to expect and I do not know how to prepare. Were you told what to expect? I will have to give the uni ring next week, I think. Obviously I want to be able to take the shortest pathway possible.
Good luck for tomorrow if I do not hear from you tonight!

KatyMac Sun 10-Aug-08 20:29:15

Remember to say EYPS

NumberFour Sun 10-Aug-08 20:44:21

yip!! of course. easier to make the mistake but i do know it is EYPS............... more of a typo than a slip.

KatyMac, thanks for the reminder re outside play, too. I would have let that slip by.

eleanorsmum Sun 10-Aug-08 20:49:16

hi no.4. i had a short conversation with the lady running my course to discuss which pathway was best and we decided the longer route was better a) because it gave me longer to do more of the courses and learn more and b) i would get more funding for doing the longer one! i know that i know what i'm doing as a childminder but worry that they'll ask me questions about whcih eyfs standard my activities fit into! katy has been a great help but think my bedtime reading needs to be THE pack!

KatyMac Sun 10-Aug-08 22:01:45

I can't do mine as I have no degree sad

Dannat Sun 10-Aug-08 22:07:45

Katy, have you considered doing a Foundation Degree in Early Years? You would have to do the third year top up but you can do it full time or part time depending on where you do it. It's brilliant. I just graduated with mine, am going to do GCSE maths this September and then do my top up year next September.

KatyMac Sun 10-Aug-08 22:20:32

grin

Dannat Sun 10-Aug-08 22:20:59

I know, I know blush Sorry!

NumberFour Tue 12-Aug-08 08:53:29

I am hoping that I will be offered the shorter route but now I am not sure I will be! I do have a uni degree but in law and not anyway related to EY.

Also I have only been minding for 2 and a bit years.

Here's to hoping.

MrsPuddleduck Tue 12-Aug-08 09:13:19

What exactly is the EYPS and how does it relate to childminding?

I am (still) waiting for my CRB check to clear so I can get my certificate but like NumberFour have a law degree. I have completely switched careers (children will be more even tempered than conveyancing clients and probably more grateful for the effort you make and polite - I could go on).

I was hoping to do some sort of qualification in childcare but didn't know which one to do. I presume that I wont be eligible for EYPS yet.

Someone from Early Years told me not to bother doing NVQ3 as it was useless shock.

Sorry to interrupt.

KatyMac Tue 12-Aug-08 09:17:51

It is a top-up qualification for people with degrees to obtain a childcare qualification

MrsPuddleduck Tue 12-Aug-08 09:22:21

Thanks Katymac

So should I look to do that then rather than an NVQ or something else - I even considered doing the Foundation Degree?

MrsFluffleHasAWuffle Tue 12-Aug-08 09:44:34

You can't do the EYPS until you have some kind of degree MrsPuddleduck -so you'd need to either go straight onto a degree course first, or if you can't do that, go the route of HNC?HND?NVQ then degree, then EYPS

MrsPuddleduck Tue 12-Aug-08 10:08:33

So if I already have a degree am I best to wait, get a bit of experience and then try for EYPS?

KatyMac Tue 12-Aug-08 10:10:52

Yep - there are various course from 4 months for the very experienced to 1yr F/T for someone who has never held a child

MrsPuddleduck Tue 12-Aug-08 10:32:45

Thanks!

NumberFour Sun 17-Aug-08 18:59:11

Eleanorsmu, how was you EYPS interview last Monday? Was it informal? Were you advised immediately what pathway you would be best suited to?
My interview is on 22 Aug and I am really hoping to get a shorter validation route!
Hope all went well.

eleanorsmum Mon 18-Aug-08 08:51:29

hi no4 interview was very informal, was as a group of 3 of us and we each had to do short presentation (knew in advance!) about a piece of equipment we used in our setting and how it related to the eyfs. then we discussed our qualifications and experience to help decide which pathway was best for us. we were then told we'd hear by letter but we'd all done ok. got letter three days later offering me a place on the long pathway. it all sounds good except for the amount of time i need to be at uni. i thought it was one day a month but they want me every friday as well! so will need to employ another childminder to run my setting on a friday and be available on the other odd month days! reall not sure how this is going to work but am looking into things. we get a grant for paying someone to release me but finding someone might be tricky!

hope yours goes well, let me know!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now