Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

I'm thinking about becoming a childminder!!

(8 Posts)
MrsTicklemouse Fri 08-Aug-08 20:56:57

I have recently contacted my council about becoming a childminder and have been booked onto a 'briefing' in September but haven't been given any info!! so I would like to know....

how much and what sort of training is involved?
how much will it cost to train?
how much will it cost to set up (I have loads of toys!)
roughly what sort of income can I expect?

anything else you think would be handy for me to know!!

thanks in advance

(PS. I have DS1 who will be 3 and at nursery 2 days a week and DS2 who will be 1 and at home full time!)

KatyMac Fri 08-Aug-08 21:13:11

Hi you will be able to have 1 child under 5 and maybe upto 3 children between 5&8

Training - currently
ICP (about 22 hrs)
Paediatric 1st Aid (12 hrs)
Food Hygiene (about 6/7 hrs)

You may have to buy some safety stuff & a paperwork pack plus insurance (mine cost about £100 5 yrs ago)

Income is very hard & it depends upon where you are here is a good place to look for C/M rates - just put your postcode in

MrsTicklemouse Fri 08-Aug-08 21:29:10

Thankyou!

by safety stuff do you mean stair gates, plug covers etc?? if so I'm sorted! grin

also, am I right in thinking that 3 and 4 year olds need to learn part of the curriculum?

MrsTicklemouse Fri 08-Aug-08 21:30:13

thanks for the lik, its about what i thought, i think i'll charge a bit less to start with until i get some experience, would this be sensible?

KatyMac Fri 08-Aug-08 21:32:37

No EYFS means you have to do observations/records & planning for all children

Be careful about charging less - how/when do you put it up?

MrsTicklemouse Fri 08-Aug-08 21:35:43

oh ok!

good point, i hadn't thought about that!

pigywig Sat 16-Aug-08 15:16:19

Hi ive just had my pre reg, am booked on 1st aid you will need icp course at your locl college, my childcare info centre organized ncma insurance and membership etc all paid through by a bursary they gave me, i don.t think the hourly rate is great though around here its £3.50 ish hour, as long as your house is safe etc and you have enough toys etc you seem ready to go

TJ1976 Sat 16-Aug-08 16:15:33

As you have 2 young children yourself, this may impact on how many children you can take on. I have a 2 yr old and only allowed to take on 2 under 5's at any one time. You may be limited to school runs and 1 full timer under 5. Just something to keep in mind. Ofsted will inform you of how many children you will be registered for when you have your registration inspection. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now