Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Cost of childcare

(17 Posts)
MiggyPop Fri 08-Aug-08 09:22:07

We're currently in Australia, and are plotting a return to the UK. When we left we didn't have any kids, and now we do. So I'm just wondering what the cost is of child care. We're looking at moving to Surrey.

Many thanks

WilfSell Fri 08-Aug-08 09:24:24

A lot usually. You're looking at between 600-800 pounds per month for a good nursery, and more for a nanny (I think they typically get something like 200 quid a week if they're trained but you also need to factor in 'on costs' like tax, NI and holiday pay etc...)

Childminders costs less but I'm not sure how much less...

ilovemydog Fri 08-Aug-08 09:27:39

I don't know, but may I ask why people move from Australia back to the UK?

wendi33 Fri 08-Aug-08 09:42:15

I have absolutely gobsmacked at the cost of childcare in london. Surrey should be fairly cheaper so i would budget for around (at least £600 per month)
at this point in time with both of us having to work full time, we cannot even consider baby number 2 !

witchandchips Fri 08-Aug-08 09:45:21

A lot depends on the age of the child as this affects the minimum ratios. Under 2s have to have one worker for every three childden, 2-3s have to have one worker for every four children and 3s and above one worker for every eight children. How old are your children?

jura Fri 08-Aug-08 09:46:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WilfSell Fri 08-Aug-08 09:47:39

Ah. Well, we do live in the very poor sticks up here!

Jackstini Fri 08-Aug-08 09:49:13

How mmay days/hours a week Miggy and what type of childcare?

wasabipeanut Fri 08-Aug-08 09:49:39

I live in the South East outside of London and my nursery charge me over £600 a month for 3 days a week.

And I believe this is fairly standard.

MiggyPop Fri 08-Aug-08 09:54:08

thanks everyone...much appreciated!

ilovemydog - Work and the fact that we're missing family and friends LOL. Australia is nice, but not the same by a long chalk. After 6 years here I can assure you no amount of sunshine can make up for the warm fuzzy feeling one gets when you're in the company of beloved friends and family.

We're currently paying the equivalent of 900 pounds/ month for a family day carer and child care centre, so wasn't expecting it to be cheap.

I'm not sure if I'd require full time care or not because I'd rather work part time so perhaps trying to sort out some live out nany work would be the go.

looneytune Fri 08-Aug-08 10:27:00

This is the national database for childminders etc. Just click on the relevant areas on the map or put in your postcode and you'll get a list incl cost usually. No ideas about nursery or nanny as I'm a childminder.

HTH

imananny Fri 08-Aug-08 11:56:44

£200 a week for a nanny shock- try nearer £500 - plus tax and ni - about £32 000 for a very exp&fab nanny smile- for other nannies def more than 200 nearer the £450 with tax and Ni in as well

wendi33 - thats when having a nanny comes more cost effective with having no 2 or 3 - prob cheaper to have a fairly good nanny then to send 3 childtrn to a cm

MiggyPop Fri 08-Aug-08 12:19:46

Sounds like a nanny is the go. I actually used to be one in the uni hols so more than happy to go with that option.

thanks again.

nannynick Fri 08-Aug-08 16:16:42

I'm in West Surrey (known locally as Surrey Heath) and a live-out nanny in my area will set you back around £20,000 gross per year in salary payment. It will vary depending on hours worked, but £7-£11 gross per hour is about the range currently.

Some parts of Surrey, are in my view known as London. For example I view Richmond as being London, not Surrey. It is a London borough, but is also in Surrey. So the nearer your location is to London, the higher the cost of childcare may be.

Childminders may be a lower cost option but may not, as you don't say how many children you have or their ages. Nannies are often a little bit more expensive than a childminder if you have 2 children, but if you have 3 children or more, then a nanny can work out cheaper - as childminders charge per child, whereas a nanny is paid to care for all the children in the family regardless of the number of children. Hope that makes sense.

me23 Fri 08-Aug-08 16:19:21

dds nursery is going to cost us 1031 a month for a full time place. The nearest community nursery was full so I don't have a choice.

sugerandspice Sat 09-Aug-08 21:53:35

Hi MiggyPop,

When i had 1 child he went to nursery, but i found with 2 it was cheaper to have a nanny, mine lives out and it costs me £400 per week gross - but then i have to pay a bit more on top of that which is national insurance for employers. I have found a nanny much better as my DS hated nursery but loves our nanny.
I am in Surrey also, but i do think it depends on what area of surrey you are in.

:-)

MiggyPop Fri 15-Aug-08 07:16:28

We're looking at either round Guildford, Farnham or Redhill/Reigate at this stage. I've had a look at the looneytune provided (thanks for that btw) and it seems as if the daycare centres might not be a bad option either. I probably won't work initally, but want to factor in the cost if I find some work at some stage. We're not looking at moving right away so I might see if it's possible to put them on a waiting list so I have options when I get there.

It's exciting and terrifying at the same time!

Again, thank you for all your help. Much appreciated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now