Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Are Au Pairs always live-in? Are they Ofsted registered? Do Nannies work selective hours?

(14 Posts)
Alambil Fri 08-Aug-08 00:49:42

Anyone?

Can't find a CM for what I need in this entire town, so am thinking alternatives and having to be quite imaginitive!

Funding avail for ofsted registered, hence the question but I don't think APs are

What about Nannies? Do they do pre and after school only?

I have a headache!!

1dilemma Fri 08-Aug-08 01:40:37

In London can find a fair few live-out aupairs especially if they have been here a while. Don't think they are registered although they might be able to be.
Can get pre and post school nannies too.
Have a look on gumtree might be a starting point

nbee84 Fri 08-Aug-08 09:59:01

Nannies with a child of their own are usally quite willing to do pre and afterschool care. They get to spend the day with their own lo.

imananny Fri 08-Aug-08 11:59:26

yes i know nannies who work before and after school - gen mums their selves

AP arent ofsted reg,but you can get nannies who are - though if they arenot, you will have to pay the start up costs

have you tried putting adverts on www.gumtree.comand www.nannyjob.co.uk and www.netmums.co.uk

jura Fri 08-Aug-08 15:05:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nannynick Fri 08-Aug-08 15:46:10

I would say that you are an ideal employer of a nanny with their own child/children. A nanny with their own children would be live-out, could be Ofsted Registered (in England), and may be happy working less than full-time hours.

objectivity Fri 08-Aug-08 15:47:41

I have always, always, ALWAYS had exactly the same prob as you LF. Cheap childcare that doesn't qualify for tax rebate.

lindseyfox Fri 08-Aug-08 15:50:11

def agree that a nanny with own child would be willing to do these hours you may need to pay for them to become registered if not already.

would guess pay would be around £6 net an hr for a nanny with own child

Alambil Fri 08-Aug-08 17:49:31

I've done Gumtree and NM ... I'll try the other site too.

The problem is, it's a uni grant paying for 80% childcare; I have no cash to register someone if they aren't already... that's why I was looking for a CM first because they're mostly registered.

It's such a palaver!

1dilemma Sat 09-Aug-08 00:47:08

Nursery? Does the uni have one?

Alambil Sat 09-Aug-08 14:03:46

He's in school so needs before and after school hour care

It was FAR simpler when I did my degree and he was in nursery!

imananny Sat 09-Aug-08 15:30:21

jura - can au pairs be ofsted registered and then parents be able to claim the vouchers, as then the au pair is being paid, rather then receiving pocket money for 25 hours - if registered then that would make the au pair come under a nanny catorgrey iyswim

jura Sat 09-Aug-08 15:36:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

imananny Sat 09-Aug-08 15:59:02

thanks for explanation jura - sounds very daft smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now