Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Help! Any CMs please translate - are we not wanted?!

(7 Posts)
IzzyWizzyletsgetbusy Thu 07-Aug-08 20:18:57

Looking for advice on message I've just received from potential CM. DD(2) currently at nursery 2 days per week, and I've been looking for a CM to care for her for a 3rd day as I'm changing my hours to work over three days in school hours (DS starting sept). Don't really want extra day at nursery for next 2 years as v expensive (have to pay 8-6 even if picking up at 3).

Had been in touch with a CM who sounded great (even better I already know someone who uses her and think she's fantastic), the mindee I know is just DD's age and they should be going to same school, so that all suits.

We arranged to meet today, then a couple of days ago I got a message saying she had made a mess of things and place wasn't coming up until Jan. She was duly apologetic for mix-up and gave me details of a CM friend (say, X) who might be able to help. I rang X but she too is full until Jan, so I contacted 1st CM and suggest we meet anyway as I could use nursery on short-term basis for extra day until xmas.

We met today and she was lovely, have come away with tel no.s for references, but once I've got those I'm happy. However had another text earlier to say that if X has places Jan maybe I should see her too as she has a very big house and massive garden.

I am a bit gutted and not quite sure how to take that. Her house wasn't huge but it was v lovely and v homely and I thought DD would be happy and comfortable there. I don't know if she's trying to get rid of us, or if she's really just trying to be helpful?!

What do I do?!!

rodg82 Thu 07-Aug-08 21:23:14

Hiya,
Hmm that must be a bit confusing?! Maybe original childminder has passed details about X before and people have chosen X over her so has issues/insecurities about it?
Maybe tell her you've had excellent things from your friend and that means more than any large garden/house etc...
If she seems to be putting you off after that maybe ask her outright or look elsewhere? xx

IzzyWizzyletsgetbusy Thu 07-Aug-08 21:32:11

She did seem a bit sensitive about it, e.g. as soon as we walked in said, sorry it's not a very big house, sometimes that puts people off. I probably just looked a bit taken aback and said "but it's fine!"
So maybe just insecure, I don't know. Also, I think she knows where I live which, to be fair, is quite a big house (but, I have to say, with correspondingly huge mortgage). I don't know if that would make a difference.
I think I'll go back to her and try, it means much more to me that she comes recommended and that I - and more importantly DD - like her.

rodg82 Thu 07-Aug-08 22:13:33

Yea def, I think that sounds a plan...Good luck Izzy!

nannynick Thu 07-Aug-08 22:20:13

You liking her, DD liking her, are far more important than size of house. Children tend to play in just a couple of rooms as it is. Bigger the house, the more children a childminder could in theory have (with assistants). So by using a childminder who has a small house, it may mean that she won't care for that many children, thus your DD gets more attention.

PinkChick Fri 08-Aug-08 09:05:53

def speak to her and say you much prefer her to any other cm, you would be willing to wait if she can have you LO and ask her if she has maybe cahnged mind and that you would rather know, you dont need her reasons, just that you and you Lo really liked her..see what she says?

MrsFluffleHasAWuffle Fri 08-Aug-08 10:28:31

I think she was just giving you other options - I know I do, if I can't help then I'll pass on another CM number who might be able to.
She's probably kicking herself for saying it now though, sometimes we do say daft things, the pressure of "interviews" gets to us too wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now