Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Please tell me CMing is not always this bad.....

(13 Posts)
HappyChildminderBerkshire Thu 07-Aug-08 13:48:31

My very first interview with PP was supposed to be today, she emailed day before yesterday and wanted to meet up ASAP. So found a babysitter for my LO yesterday and today, spent HOURS cleaning, tidying, printing a few rainforests worth of policies, rented carpet cleaner and cleaned carpets, etc etc.

She just called and cancelled. sad found someone else and didn't even want the meeting. I have spent a fortune registering as a CM and getting the house looking good, advertising, going on courses, and this has been the only response. AND I've already dropped my fees to try and get a client. sad sad sad Please tell me it does eventually get better????!!!!!

thefunkypea Thu 07-Aug-08 13:56:33

Maybe you're not getting many responses because it's the holidays? It may take a litle time as you are just starting out and rightly/wrongly people do tend to look for recommendations. It's the eternal problem - how do i get work without experience, how do i get experience without work. You do sound incredibly diligent and I'm sure it will only be a matter of time.

MrsPuddleduck Thu 07-Aug-08 14:46:13

I am worried about this too.

I am about to put an advert on NetMums to see if I can get some work that way, although I don't have my certificate through yet (hopefully by the end of this month).

I know that around here once you are up and running you are usually OK but like you say it is getting your first mindee.

SammyK Thu 07-Aug-08 15:25:06

Oh it is gutting and I won't lie PPs do often cancel, or just not even turn up.

I am much more relaxed though now about them coming, I always have a spare set of policies in my portfolio and I might hoover and dust if needed, but that's it. grin It is awful tho - you get your hopes up so much!

I would advertise locally as much as possible, postcards in windows, ask at soft play centres if you can advertise, leisure centres etc.

Do you have some business cards? Vistaprint do cheap ones and I always have some in my purse to hand out.
Do you have many cm's local to you? Or nurseries? I have a nursery on my door step and seem to get the part timers that they shun!!

I'm sure once you get one mindee you will set the ball rolling.

vInTaGeVioLeT Thu 07-Aug-08 16:07:40

i took me ages to get my first permanent mindee {6 months} but i wasn't trying too hard - it's very frustrating but you'll get there in the end.

re: cleaning at least it's totally spick'n'span now so next time you have PP you only have to have a quick run round with the hoover and duster as sammyK said.

vInTaGeVioLeT Thu 07-Aug-08 16:08:48

oops don't know what wrong with my mumsnetting skills today blush that should read permanent

Kewcumber Thu 07-Aug-08 16:10:11

I'm amazed about the number of times PP's cancel in my Cm with little or no notice AND the ones who just don;t turn up. However as a parent I would also say that most won't be looking in August - they'll be on hols.

Jackstini Thu 07-Aug-08 16:12:52

Have you checked your details have been included on this website and all info is up to date including your vacancies? www.childcarelink.gov.uk/
Advertise on MN too!
August is a crappy time so don't feel too bad.

MrsFluffleHasAWuffle Thu 07-Aug-08 17:01:35

Hey look on the bright side, they called and your house is lovely and sparkling now!

Seriously though, get used to it, people have no regard for us whatsoever, and lots of people will not show up or cancel - for every ten enq I get maybe 2 will show up and one will sign.

It can be soul destroying, and you think there is something wrong, but honestly, it's not you. It happens to us all.

Netmums and Gumtree are both good for getting enq from.

HappyChildminderBerkshire Thu 07-Aug-08 18:17:00

MrsPuddleDuck I hope your registration comes thru soon. It is so annoying waiting!

yeah I got free business cards from Vistaprint, also free letterhead, free fridge magnets (: now all I need is a client!! Soul destroying is about right, well at least I know now not to jump thru hoops to arrange a meeting!

MrsFluffleHasAWuffle Thu 07-Aug-08 20:11:17

www.lookforchildcare.co.uk
www.gumtree.com
www.childmindinghelp.co.uk
www.netmums.com
www.yell.c om

Vistaprint do car magnets too, great things to have

rodg82 Thu 07-Aug-08 21:28:40

Vista print are brill - you can get loads of things free and then just pay p&p...good luck with finding your mindees im sure a lovely family are just around the corner x

narkymum Fri 08-Aug-08 15:38:13

How long have you been advertising sp this is a quite time of year. Once kids are back to school you may find it picks up. Try advertising school runs locally you make get a new reception child. Also do you know any other minders, we pass on enquries to each other and always know who has a space round here, That way we can help each other fill it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now