Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

childminding help please

(11 Posts)
Diane73 Wed 06-Aug-08 19:23:43

Hi all,
just wondered if there is any cm out there who can help me, I've just become a CM after giving up my nanny career, I have 15 yrs experience. I am starting to worry about filling my places has anyone got any ideas on where to advertise apart from CIS. I am panicing now as I don't have any money coming in!
Thanks

Tas1 Wed 06-Aug-08 19:31:13

Netmums
Mumsnet
Gumtree
Put advert in local shops.

Contact your local CM group and ask them give your contact details to any parents looking.

Leaflet drop
Advert in your car window

Go to soft play areas etc and hand out leaflets

nannynick Wed 06-Aug-08 19:33:35

Children's Centre
Think you are Farnborough, Hampshire area (do I have the right person?), if so try getting in touch with Chris at OWLs Children's Centre.

Shoshe Wed 06-Aug-08 19:33:45

I have had vinayl lettering put on my car, saying business name, Registered CM and phone number, got them from ebay, pics on profile.

Also get into a CM group or Network, word of mouth is the best way to get customers.

usedtoreadbooks Wed 06-Aug-08 20:38:38

I got my childminder from the council's list. Felt easier about going through an official source. Wouldn't go for anyone that had to advertise. Sorry!

silentmadge Wed 06-Aug-08 21:03:24

Why is the council list ok but advertising not?

nannynick Wed 06-Aug-08 22:57:45

opp's forgot to say - at the children's centre they have a board (at least they do at the Moore Rd site) for childminder ads. Also have a childminder drop-in group (it's an NCMA group).

Makre sure your CIS has updated their list, including the online list. The online list can be checked at both www.ChildcareLink.gov.uk and childcare.direct.gov.uk Your entry should be the same on each. If it isn't, or if it is missing from one, contact your CIS and amend something, so it gets re-published.
It is good to keep in touch with CIS every couple of weeks, so that they keep you bumped up the list. If you will care for after-school children, make sure your CIS listing shows which schools you collect from, as parents can search for providers who collect from specific schools.

nannynick Wed 06-Aug-08 23:10:18

As you are in hampshire, your details once on the iChIS database will appear on Hantsfish. Looks as though at the moment you are not on the iChIS database - so check with Hampshire CIS as to why your details are not yet visible. They may be waiting for you to confirm something, or may not have ticked the right box, or whatever. So get on to them to find out if they can spot any reason for you not being on the public database yet.

When did your registration come through?

looneytune Thu 07-Aug-08 09:13:08

Here's ou Advertising Tips thread

PinkChick Thu 07-Aug-08 13:04:00

usedtoradbooks, as long as a cm is reg she/he will ALWAAYS be on council list, we only advertise if its quiet, you can still go via them , but they really have no sway over us, its ofsted that have that, but they dont give contacts out.
as long as people always get ofsted reg number and check it out, you would be finesmile

Heidi5 Fri 08-Aug-08 14:36:24

*Fully Qualified Nanny* looking for 1 extra day of work per week. We already employ Claire 3 days per week but she is looking for one extra day in the Sutton/Epsom/Banstead/Tadworth/Kingswood area - and I am just trying to help her do this. She has been with us for 1.5 years and is an extremely loyal, enthusiasitic and flexible employee - and our 2 and 4 year olds just love her to bits.
Claire has 10 years experience (both as a nursery nurse and a nanny) and has just refreshed her First Aid qualification.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now