Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Questions about becoming a nanny - please answer if you can

(5 Posts)
eenybeeny Wed 06-Aug-08 18:43:19

I am considering becoming a nanny. I would have my own DS with me as well as the children I was nannying. Also I do not drive. Do these things make me less employable? How do you advertise to look for nanny work?

nannynick Wed 06-Aug-08 19:10:58

My view is that having your own child in tow and not driving will make you less employable.
Not being able to drive will be a big issue for many parents. If you are in London (or another city where public transport is viable) then it may not be as much of an issue, though even then I suspect that parents may want a nanny who drives.

There are several message threads about Nannies With Children, Nannies who don't drive. Have a hunt through the archive. I think that there are mixed views regarding both issues.

Register with nanny agencies - parents who are first-time nanny employers I find will use an agency. Parents who have had nannies before, or who read this board, will use internet services such as NannyJob and Gumtree. So look there for adverts from parents looking for a nanny.

nannynick Wed 06-Aug-08 19:23:27

Based on your profile location detail, I would say that the not driving issue will be the biggest trouble. In rural locations, getting around can often involve travelling many miles, even where I am it is not unusual for me to travel 20+ miles a day to get to activities.

imananny Wed 06-Aug-08 19:36:37

agree with nick - being a mum shouldnt stop you from getting jobs, though some might want to quibble about £ph they pay you

I have lots of friends who are mums and nannies

BUT not being able to drive will def hinder you, so having lessons and taking test will highly benifit you

wheeler Sat 09-Aug-08 15:30:01

just an opinion - from a mum looking for a nanny for first time....

i don't think either count against you b/c

1. i would prefer a nanny with own child as i think my DS could do with some company (i do however agree that rate should perhaps be reduced b/c of this, though not halved)

2. we live in london, we don't drive or own a car ourselves, looking after our DS will not require car trips (everything is nearby), and you not running a car means there would be no petrol allowance in addition to salary...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now