Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

I've just called my car insurance company to change my named driver from old nanny to new au pair and it's costing me an additional...

(15 Posts)
jura Wed 06-Aug-08 17:01:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LIZS Wed 06-Aug-08 17:02:53

We've just changed from DL as renewal was uncompetitive

seb1 Wed 06-Aug-08 17:03:52

Waterproofs

whooosh Wed 06-Aug-08 17:05:06

I had the same problem once and ended up with Prudential.

However,have a new nanny now who is twice previous nanny's age and guess how much I saved??????

A measely £14 after I had pais to have a name change <<<<grrrrr>>

wannaBe Wed 06-Aug-08 17:05:36

is she under 25? is her licence a UK one?

insurance companies weight heavily for under 25s, heaviest for under 21s, and further weighting for not having held a UK driving licence for more than three years.

wannaBe Wed 06-Aug-08 17:07:10

also the time left on the policy would make a difference to the cost, so e.g. if you only renewed last month the obv would be more than if renewal was up next month as changes are calculated on a pro-rata basis.

jura Wed 06-Aug-08 17:14:30

nannynick Wed 06-Aug-08 17:35:42

As her licence is less than a year old, is it worth her doing PassPlus? Could that help get a reduction on the insurance?

jura Wed 06-Aug-08 17:42:05

TequilaMockinBird Wed 06-Aug-08 17:48:52

I found Tesco or Privilege the cheapest for car insurance when I first passed my test.

Not sure if that helps (and I suppose it also depends on the area you live etc.) but thought I'd let you know anyway! smile

mummypoppins Wed 06-Aug-08 18:34:50

Jura try Tesco and Norwich Union. Both good for young drivers and both happy with Au Pairs. Try also putting an OAP on the policy as well...bizarely it can reduce the premium!

Libra Wed 06-Aug-08 18:57:42

I agree that Tesco is happy with young au pairs.

The question you need to ask is: How long has she had her licence for? That's what they asked me on the phone. Our last au pair's licence had a date on it that she told me was the date she first applied for a provisional one, but that was the date on her licence. So I just told them: this is the date on her licence, which was over a year, and they were happy. I didn't ask her when she had actually passed her test....

imananny Wed 06-Aug-08 19:34:13

OUCH

try www.moneysupermarket.com/motor/quoterequest1.aspx?p=0&Source=GOOMOTOR3 and put in details and see what comes up cheapest

I am with tesco and they are often cheaper, also for some strange reason my car insurance is cheaper with my hubby added on it hmm

CHERBEAR1 Mon 18-Aug-08 14:39:39

Hi, i did my pass plus and was told it would make my insurance cheaper. but it never did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SimpleAsABC Mon 18-Aug-08 17:30:27

Cherbear, why do you insist on responding to old threads?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now