Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Is it difficult to get your first mindee??? Starting to panic.....

(10 Posts)
MrsPuddleduck Wed 06-Aug-08 12:47:33

I am waiting for my certificate to come through, OFSTED are still waiting for the CRB's to clear but they were sent on 26/6 and are taking 6-8 weeks so hopefully it shouldn't be too long.

I am starting to get worried that it may be difficult to get your first mindee on the basis that to a parent you have no experience, will this be the case and does anyone have any tips?

I am starting to get a bit panicky as I really need to start in September as I have given up another job to do this also because I can see that other childminders on here are struggling to get work.

I am also worried that I have missed the boat for parents looking for childminders in September - is this a busy time or am I worrying over nothing?

justaboutagrownup Wed 06-Aug-08 12:48:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsPuddleduck Wed 06-Aug-08 12:53:30

I was going to charge £3.75 an hour (which is top end around here - average is about £3.50 I think). I didn't really want to charge much less in the current climate.

Perhaps I should drop prices to get my first mindee? or should I see how I get on and then drop them if I get no luck?

justaboutagrownup Wed 06-Aug-08 12:58:57

MrsPuddleduck Wed 06-Aug-08 13:02:24

I plan to go to one of the singing groups, a toddler group and an art club and absorb the costs myself. If I charge less I don't think I will be able to do those activities.

I think it is a good idea to charge an initial rate - thanks, I may try that!

justaboutagrownup Wed 06-Aug-08 13:04:59

Jelliebaby Wed 06-Aug-08 13:09:12

I was a childminder this time last year. I advertised alot in shops and on fliers etc and didn't get one call. I decided to get another job and as soon as i did i was getting 2-3 phone calls a day with enquiries. The phone calls started mid Aug and even went into Oct, i think some parents start looking for jobs Sept time when kids start school and then panic over childcare.

I struggled to get a childminder for my DD as they were all so busy. I didnt chose by cost I chose by what area they lived in and how easy it would be to get to work from their house.

I think the phone calls will start coming in soon.

elkiedee Wed 06-Aug-08 17:25:59

I chose a newly registered CM for ds (to start at 10 months). She's lovely, and experienced as a mum. Actually starting at another time than September might not be a bad thing - as presumably more experienced CMs have vacancies then etc, though it does depend on what you're hoping for in terms of ages.

On groups, are there any free or cheaper groups available? I know it varies a lot area to area but my area has free library based singing groups, a toddler group and a drop-in which CM takes ds and her other full time mindee to for free (most provided through the Council, one through a local voluntary organisation). But if those aren't available, then explain costs.

One thing I liked was that my CM sent me a document outlining her policies on various things which addressed a lot of questions I'd have wanted to ask but not been confident about, eg discipline/restraint (only as needed to stop ds hurting himself, no smacking for example), and a slip for me to sign consenting to her taking him out, as I do like the idea of her taking him out to do stuff.

southernbelle77 Wed 06-Aug-08 17:48:00

When I started up I was very worried about getting work as there was a lot of cm's in the area. I used to go along to the weekly cm drop in with my own dd before I got any mindees so that I got to know the other cm's and the vacancy coordinator so at least I might get some calls that way!

I got my first mindee from the cis and the second from word of mouth (as a result of going to the drop in) so it was well worth getting 'known' even before I had properly started itms.

I also charged at the top end for the area and had no problems getting my first mindees (who are still with me, even since we moved out the village)

MrsPuddleduck Thu 07-Aug-08 12:45:44

Thanks for the replies. I feel alot better now.

I have decided to advertise on Netmums and also DH works for Staffs Police so I can advertise for free on their intranet site so I may be able to get some work in advance if I'm lucky.

I am going to stick to charging top end becuase I intend to so clubs and outings etc and see how I get on. I notice that a number of classes at the local children's centre are only £1 so I am willing to absorb those costs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now