Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Problems with jealous child - any suggestions?

(4 Posts)
Jennyso Tue 05-Aug-08 19:27:06

Hello everyone, I am quite new to childminding and was wondering if anyone had suggestions of how to deal with jealousy. In a nutshell, my daughter (15 months) is finding it difficult to accept the little girl (12 months) who I mind two days a week. It is particularly difficult when they are in the double buggy as my daughter frequently takes the dummy out of the other child's mouth, or tries to scratch and kick her. She's obviously quite a feisty child compared to the more petitie minded child. Telling her 'no' and 'stop it' doesn't seem to work so just wondering if anyone has any tips on managing this kind of behaviour. I feel sorry for both of them!

Thanks,

Jso

SammyK Thu 07-Aug-08 10:22:38

It is tricky yes and I sympathise!

Is your double a side by side? Could you swap for a tandem or ick up a ridiculously cheap one second hand for your dd to go in the front of?

I think all you can do is weather the storm really, make sure you are playing with them so you can step in if needed. If you read a story sit them on either side of you, etc, Sorry if you already d these things, just trying to think of anything helpful.

Also if mindee only wiht you two days a week I would try and do something nice with dd the day after if you can.

vInTaGeVioLeT Thu 07-Aug-08 12:20:22

i sympathise too! i think all you can do is keep saying "no" and being firmly consistant with your dd giving her loads of praise for good/kind behaviour.
good luck.

Jennyso Fri 08-Aug-08 18:39:40

It is a side by side unfortunately, but it has only happened a few times thankfully. Thanks for the tips - at least I know it's not just me with this problem

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now