Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Can you give me some ideas for messy edible play for a I year old?

(17 Posts)
jojo76 Tue 05-Aug-08 15:43:44

Hello, I'm a CM having a mental block hoping someone can inspire me!! I have a 1 year old who I want to do some different activities with, I feel like we are in a rut...
I have him from 12 till six thirty, and find it hard to aqueeze activities inbetween arrival, lunch, nappychange, sleep, nappychange, dinner, clean up, hopetime, in that order! I have usually a bit of time between lunch and nap and sometimes between second nappy change and getting dinner on table. Has anyone got some ideas of good activities I can do with him that are quick to get out and set up? He likes messy play but is very much at the eat everything stage...anyone know how to make edible paint or anything like that? I made playdough with my two ds's today but he really just sat there eating it grin .
Hope this message isnt too rambling, any ideas greatly appreciated! thanks!

jojo76 Tue 05-Aug-08 15:44:45

that should be Hometime, not hope time, of course!

nannynick Tue 05-Aug-08 15:46:28

cold baked beans, in a tray - great to touch, move around, and can be eaten.

Slouchy Tue 05-Aug-08 15:48:04

like playdough but more edible - pastry, little flour, raisins, 100s and 1000s.

MrsFluffleHasAWuffle Tue 05-Aug-08 17:05:41

cooked pasta, noodles, couscous, rice, quinoa etc
jelly
angel delight
fruit/veg purees as "paint"

Brill idea, baked beans, going to use that one in future, ta Nannynick

savoycabbage Tue 05-Aug-08 17:08:45

Jelly in an under-bed storage type box.

savoycabbage Tue 05-Aug-08 17:09:20

Cornflour and water. I love that myself!

navyeyelasH Tue 05-Aug-08 17:22:32

Rice pudding & food colouring for paint (or just water and small drop food colouring), even used that quick set jelly stuff in the past.

You can also make edible "play doh" do a google search for a recipe, great for motor skills. Like Nannynicks idea of beans, but using spaghetti in tomato sauce either stands/hoops/alphabet depending on age.

Another great one is water play - maybe get some seeds, plant them and let your Mindee water them each time.

Using cookie cutters on bread / cheese / ham etc

NoBiggy Tue 05-Aug-08 17:28:25

At messy time once they had cooked pasta in a tray, added some water and some powder paint. A fine time was had by all. The paint was supposed to be washable. Wasn't as it turned out.

A nanny once told me they used to put children in a bath of beans for fun. I couldn't help thinking a) cold, and b) how many tins would you need???

MrsFluffleHasAWuffle Tue 05-Aug-08 18:28:04

Yes filling the highchair tray with a thin layer of water with food colouring in to splash around with is good fun constant supervision though remember

imananny Tue 05-Aug-08 18:42:43

jelly and cornflour are my fav - can spend hours my self at weekends ie without children grin with cornflour - it AMAZES me the liquid/solid form it takes

other fun, though not edible is shaving foam on a tray - great fun to draw pictures and pratice writing for older children, then you can rub it all out and start again - plus makes your hands soooooooooooooo soft grin

so for younger eaters, use squirty cream - again great fun smile

libbysmummy Tue 05-Aug-08 20:47:34

Cooked spaghetti with different food colourings - my mindees love it and it gets eaten up too!!!

navyeyelasH Tue 05-Aug-08 22:10:47

Just be careful of allergies and food colouring; I read once that children on medication for adhd/add are often allergic!?

Sidge Tue 05-Aug-08 22:14:44

Make patterns in Rice Krispies.

Good for crunching as well!

jojo76 Wed 06-Aug-08 15:24:22

oh brilliant suggestions, everyone thanks so much!!
Like the idea of beans, squirty cream, they will all find that hillarious, and jelly, hadn't thought of any of these!
funny how you can get a total mental block for fresh ideas sometimes.......

imananny Wed 06-Aug-08 19:17:05

glad to be of asistance smile

* draws patterns in cream and squirts in mouth from can *

jojo76 Wed 06-Aug-08 20:15:22

hahaha, yep that cream activity is sounding good!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now