Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How do I go about registering to babysit in the evenings?

(23 Posts)
MamaGLovesMe Tue 05-Aug-08 14:24:01

I need to earn some money and this seems the best way. I used to be a nanny and have 3 children so know one end of a child from another, and being the evening, I can do it while DH has our kids.

hellybell Tue 05-Aug-08 14:27:12

why would you need to be regisiterd..?

I have a babysitter who is a student and she is not regisitered.

MamaGLovesMe Tue 05-Aug-08 14:31:15

I mean through an agency. I assumed that is how I will get work.

TheBlonde Tue 05-Aug-08 14:36:46

www.sitters.co.uk/

imananny Tue 05-Aug-08 15:15:33

you can register with your local nanny agencies - frre for you to do this - though most wouldnt send you out on any jobs till you have been crb checked - price ranging from £36 to £45 depending on which agency does it hmm and again most would require an up to date first aid

you could also try putting ads on www.gumtree.com and www.netmums.co.uk and www.nannyjob.co.uk all of these I have had ads on, and got work from

nannynick Tue 05-Aug-08 15:45:06

Agencies won't pay that high a rate. You can get a higher hourly rate by finding the work yourself - but you then have all the costs of advertising, so pro's and cons.

Agencies will have quite a strict policy regarding who they will take on, so dig out all your references/other paperwork from your nanny positions. They will also want to speak with at least 2 families you have worked for I would expect.

If going about things yourself - then advert in newsagents window, diy-leaflets through doors, looking on websites for parents ads and placing your own.

I babysit and new clients come via either: Google Search (finding my website), seeing my car (it's a mobile advert!), or word-of-mouth.

WelliesAndPyjamas Tue 05-Aug-08 15:47:52

You can request your own CPR check from your local police force's data protection unit. Costs about £10 usually.

Love2bake Tue 05-Aug-08 15:49:37

I work for Sitters and really am happy with them. They are great to work for and was really easy to get on their books, although you do need an interview and 3 refs.

imananny Tue 05-Aug-08 18:35:40

though sitters pay the worst bs rate I have ever known - so I personally am not on their books - they advise depending on area

In central London postcode areas
E EC N NW SE SW W WC

Weekdays: £5.65 per hour
Saturdays: £6.70 per hour

In most postcode areas in SE England
AL BR CM CR DA EN GU HA HP IG KT LU ME OX RG RH RM SG SL SM SS TN TW UB WD

Weekdays: £5.55 per hour
Saturdays: £6.05 per hour

In all other postcode areas
Weekdays: £5.55 per hour
Saturdays: £5.55 per hour

surreylady Tue 05-Aug-08 18:46:42

Gumtree or Nannyjob (http://www.nannyjob.co.uk) also have a babysitting section. I have used both - I do require to meet someone and have references - if that is not unreasonable - but then have just a couple that we have on a regular (adhoc) basis.

lindseyfox Tue 05-Aug-08 19:31:57

i get my babysitting work through word of mouth or through nanny agencies as they know my rate of pay.

was registered with sitters but couldnt be bothered to get out of chair on a winters night for £5 and a bit per hr!!!

I just did a babysit on friday night through a nanny agency 2 babies under 6mths and a 2yr old was £12 an hr plus £30 for travelling as was miles away - think they paid as wanted peace of mind.

I normally charge £10 an hr with a min of £30 per session and if more than 15mins travelling I charge hrly rate for travelling too.

never short of bookings looking after 6mth old and 2yr old friday night including staying overnight and being paid for it (parents will be sleeping!) at £10 an hr.

imananny Tue 05-Aug-08 19:42:02

excalty lindsey- - i charge almost double what they suggest for my postcode

I also am never short of bs/night nannying work

love2bake - not suprised easy to get on their books - no one wants to work for that paltry amount smile - but you obv must be happy to bs for £6 or less?

mamag, as you have been a nanny and a mum sure you will find work easily enough - good luck

sallysparkle Tue 05-Aug-08 19:47:45

I used www.findasitter.co.uk to find my babysitter. I think its free to register as a sitter and then you can write a bit about yourself, state how much you charge, whether you have criminal record check etc.
They're not exactly an agency because they don't take responsibility for the sitters, its up to parents to interview and check out references etc. HTH

lindseyfox Tue 05-Aug-08 21:13:42

agree sallysparkle a good website I have had work through there and from www.findababysitter.com and on one of them cant remember which when you have sat for families they can go on there and leave feedback, I have a 5 star rating!!!

navyeyelasH Tue 05-Aug-08 22:06:18

I charge £6 for evening babysitting and haven't had that many takers. Am I too cheap (I currently work as a nanny)? Also what do you all charge for overnight work as I've had a few enquiries but the parents have said it's too expensive!

nannynick Tue 05-Aug-08 22:21:54

surreylady - I feel meeting people first is vital. As a babysitter myself, I always meet families prior to babysitting and state that on my website. However I sometimes get contacted by parents who just want someone to babysit, don't want to go through any form of meeting prior. I refuse those kinds of bookings.

Navy - overnight can vary. I rarely do it these days, but when I do, it is typically £100 for 7pm-7am.

In my area, £10 per hour is achievable for evening babysitting, but while some parents will be prepared to pay that, others will not. You can try varying price and seeing what happens. You will know your local market best... are there families locally who will pay more, or is there only demand if cost is low?

lindseyfox Wed 06-Aug-08 16:36:42

navyeyelash i charge £10 an hr whether its daytime or nightime.

fro 24hr care its £165 per 24hrs (£200 if 2 children under 2yrs, one under 6mths or more than 4 children)

imananny Wed 06-Aug-08 19:21:25

navyeyelash - yes you are cheap grin

Im roughly the same as Lindsey - charge £10 bs/working

over night normally charge bs raet £10 7-midnight (50) and £30 over night till 7am,so total £80 - what have you been quoting/charging nel?

PP £180 per 24hrs - daily rate of £100 and then £80 overnight

navyeyelasH Thu 07-Aug-08 16:59:25

I'm in Bristol and have been charging £6 for babysitting, no change after 12.

For overnight I've been charging, £8 day time 7am-8pm, £6 8pm-12pm, then £4 when I'm sleeping depending on age of children.

And every person that has asked (3) has said it's too much! hmm

MrsFluffleHasAWuffle Thu 07-Aug-08 17:04:27

www.lookforchildcare.co.uk have a babysitting section too

Love2bake Thu 07-Aug-08 22:37:55

imananny - I do like working for them actually, what you didn't mention is that you are guarnteed 4 hours paid work with sitters. I have done loads of jobs and been there for less than 4 hours and been paid for 4. Therefore the minimum you get is £22 a night.

Plus the people that use them in my area are all loaded, so lots of big tips wink

Love2bake Thu 07-Aug-08 23:22:44

oh 2 more reasons:

1. You get offered lots of mid-week jobs, not just weekeends. I could work 5 nights a week if I wanted.

2. It feels safe going to people's house's when they are registered through an agency. I would feel very uncomfortable going to some random family, who have found my details on the internet or whereever.

imananny Fri 08-Aug-08 12:04:30

lovetobake - i also always charge min of 4hrs - regardless of if they use me or nor for that amount

did a parents eve last month and got there at 7pm and left by 8pm with £40 in my pocket - not sure why they didnt go out for drink etc afterwards but they were happy to pay me that

but do see your point about ads on internet,not sure if i would turn up without meeting them first

must admit most of work is word of mouth, ex employers and their friends, my mb etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now