Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

in a bit of a spot......what are my options?

(14 Posts)
dipsymummy Mon 04-Aug-08 23:35:38

I have been let down by childcare I had sorted out for my 2 children who are starting pre school and school in September and really don't know what to do!!
I really don't want to leave my kids with "whoever will have them" as feel I'm abandoning them . It is a matter of 2 days a week for 3 weeks and am wondering if there are any options I haven't considered?

jura Tue 05-Aug-08 00:42:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MindingMum Tue 05-Aug-08 07:37:44

Where are you dipsy,someone on here might be able to help?

KatyMac Tue 05-Aug-08 07:50:04

Childminders would usually do a short-term contract

HappyChildminderBerkshire Tue 05-Aug-08 08:19:08

You're allowed up to 13 weeks Parental Leave for emergencies like this, although it is unpaid.

dipsymummy Tue 05-Aug-08 20:28:31

Am in Twickenham.

Unfortunately I'm self employed so can't do parental leave.

Will try and see if I can sort out temp nanny tomorrow. Is tinies the best place to start?

A childminder is working out too expensive with two kids.

imananny Tue 05-Aug-08 20:53:25

are there any friends from DD1 nursery that you could ring up and beg/swap/owe a whole day play date?

if not then yes the best bet , though not cheap is hiring a temp nanny - though if you are se, you could claim back the exspense when doing your tax?

shame I am not nearer you,as I am with my local agencies for temp work, as I only work 3 days perm

hope you find someone

lindseyfox Tue 05-Aug-08 21:15:49

maybe put an ad on here seems plenty of nannies come on here.

also try gumtree and nannyjob and maybe find someone looking for a permanent job whose out of work and will work for you as a stop gap.

ob when you interview make sure you check for crb and follow up referneces etc.

dipsymummy Tue 05-Aug-08 23:25:00

Thanks imananny-believe me have been begging and grovelling....

Yes-looked at gumtree but its such short notice
and response times aren't that great.couple of girls couldn't do references as references away etc.

PrincessPeaHead Tue 05-Aug-08 23:27:32

I think gumtree is excellent for short notice stuff - have you tried? Better than paying agency fees - I think you are very likely to find someone from gumtree.

Most people have mobile phones these days as well - I've just hired a nanny and phoned a reference in Aus, one in France, and two who were meant to be in England but one was in the States and one was in Italy (both on holiday)...

good luck!

dipsymummy Tue 05-Aug-08 23:55:13

wow that's excellent!

My first nanny was from gumtree and the whole experience went really smoothly.

this time round it's all falling apart.
But each day changes I guess and you've encouraged me to have another stab.
wish me luck!!

RachieB Wed 06-Aug-08 00:34:28

if a childminder is working out too expensive,then a nanny will be even more so ?!

dipsymummy Wed 06-Aug-08 12:33:39

not really as the childminders rates work out way more expensive for two children-and i've also been told by one that rates are going up by a pound an hour in a week-per child!! I think that's a lot and I end up paying more in childcare fees than what I earn in a day.

dipsymummy Wed 06-Aug-08 12:33:40

not really as the childminders rates work out way more expensive for two children-and i've also been told by one that rates are going up by a pound an hour in a week-per child!! I think that's a lot and I end up paying more in childcare fees than what I earn in a day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now