Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

aupair - would you let her stay in your home while your on holiday?

(15 Posts)
Julesnobrain Mon 04-Aug-08 21:00:41

Help! we are going on holiday on Thursday for 2 1/2 weeks. Our au pair for whom we have brought a plane ticket home has announced she doesn't want to go as she has got a new part time job starting on Wednesday. We've never left an au pair on her own while we've been out of the country. DH not keen and muttering about locking away his Ipod gadgets and bank details etc not from her but he's worried she'll have a party with strangers casing the joint. I don't think she's the type. What would you do? advice please

lindseyfox Mon 04-Aug-08 21:29:26

i suppose if she is leaving this is difficult, when is her plan ticket for? when was she suppose to leave?

if she was suppose to have left before you go away then you have no obligation to provide her with accomodation this is up to her new host family.

Turniphead1 Mon 04-Aug-08 21:40:41

Do you have a neighbour friend that could check up on her? At the very least, you could tell her, oh Sally will pop in to check you are Ok and just keep an eye on the plants (or some such nonsense). That way she will know she can't get up to much.

TBH, might not be a bad thing from security point of view to have someone house sit?

Is she generally sensible?

Julesnobrain Mon 04-Aug-08 21:43:17

Sorry Lindseyfox, did not make myself clear, we're on holiday for 2 weeks + and are not taking her so we brought her a return ticket to spend 2 weeks with her family as a holiday (Paid). We let our au pairs get additional jobs eg cleaning or in this case part time in an estate agency 10 -2. Its this new job she is starting on wed so now she no longer wants to take her 2 weeks paid holiday but this means she has to stay in our house. Would you let your au pair do this? is that normal?

MarmadukeScarlet Mon 04-Aug-08 21:44:33

I must be really too trusting then, let my new summer AP look after our house for 10 days when she'd only been here 2.5 weeks.

We do have a safe but hadn't locked anything away.

I knew she wouldn't have guests or parties, she is not that kind.

Only you can tell if your AP is trustworthy.

ingles2 Mon 04-Aug-08 21:47:39

jules, we leave the AP at home whilst we're on holiday. We've never had a problem so far...
Have to admit, Am feeling nervous this time as current AP is a bit dozy about security, infact she's on a warning for going out and leaving the doors wide open, not just once but twice! Her mum is coming for most of the holiday so I'm sure it'll be fine.... ,fingers very tightly crossed>

ingles2 Mon 04-Aug-08 21:49:15

x post marmaduke
grin

HarrietTheSpy Mon 04-Aug-08 23:25:13

I wouldn't know where else to suggest she go. Do you have any serious reasons - ie what Ingles has said - to think she can't be trusted to be sensible?

Quattrocento Mon 04-Aug-08 23:30:30

I wouldn't see it as a problem tbh

giraffescantdancethetango Mon 04-Aug-08 23:34:10

Have you ever left her alone with the children?

If the answers yes then, yes I would leave her in the house definetly. As nothing in the house can be more important, and she will have already proved herself trust worthy with your most important "posessions"

cheapskatemum Mon 04-Aug-08 23:57:50

We are leaving our summer au pair in the house for 2 weeks while we're away. She's looking after the dogs.

AtheneNoctua Tue 05-Aug-08 08:24:37

I think you should leave her in the ho use. It would be rude not to. But, if you are worried, you could ask a couple of neighbors to have a look out for parties.

Our old nanny had a party whilst we were away (not only did I consent to it but I suggested it). However, I did draw the line when I came home and realised my bed had been "slept" in.

Julesnobrain Tue 05-Aug-08 10:21:45

Thanks everyone, feel a bit better now. We've asked a neighbour to keep any eye on her and told the AP the neighbour will be dropping in to make sure she's OK.

MamaGLovesMe Tue 05-Aug-08 14:26:19

If you trust her to work for you........

dannyb Tue 05-Aug-08 17:53:26

I understand where the original poster is coming from. I do trust my aupair and I trust her in the house and with the children. What I have concerns about, are the other people she has met since she has been here. I don't know them, and to be honest, she really doesn't know the people that she has met in the pub, they could be anyone. The last thing I want her to do is to trust them too much, bring them back to our house and then, who knows what? I feel a level of responsibility to her that she's safe whilst we are away and also that she doesn't allow anyone we don't know into our house a) to keep her safe and b) the protect the house. We are leaving her in the house for 2 weeks with regular checks from my sister and a friend and I am also going to tell her that we'll offer her a bonus on return if the house is as we left it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now