Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What advice do you have?

(2 Posts)
FriendIndeed Mon 04-Aug-08 12:37:59

Hi

A dear friend has had her childcare fall down around her ears this morning. She is a hard working single mum, who loves her full time job.

Her daughter is 7 and has a busy evening social life, Brownies, Ballet, Stagecoach. All she needs is someone to look after her in the morning, (my friend has an one hour commute), take her to school, pick her up at 3.15, give her a snack and take her to whatever activity she has, from which her mum normally picks her up.

She only needs term time help. I really want to help her as I love her daughter to bits. I also have a flexible job, and can fit my clients (I'm a mobile beautician - but I have been a nanny in the past) around the school run. I am also 4 months pregnant, so this would fit in brilliantly as I get bigger, and also when the baby is born. All the childcare would take place in my friend's house.

Is there any legal reasons why I can't/shouldn't offer help? I'm gessing she would pay me the same as the afterschool club or a chiildminder would charge. Do I need any qualifictaions? Insurance? I'm already self employed, so that's not an issue.

Any advice would be welcomed!

Bink Mon 04-Aug-08 12:50:33

Fundamental legal problems - no, all fine (on basic presumption you have right to work in the UK). In this situation you wouldn't be a childminder, so no registration requirement (nor any requirement for qualifications or insurance).

Lots of other concerns, though, for you & your friend to think through:

- it's unlikely you can do this job on a self-employed basis - you'll be your friend's employee so (if the amount you're paid is over the threshold - which is low - under £100 a week I think) your friend will need to factor in tax/NI. Easiest if you agree a gross figure with your friend

- conflicts? what about when her daughter is ill & you have a fixed beauty client commitment (let's say a wedding)? Who comes first?

- though no compulsory registration, if you get some basic qualifications, and insurance, you will be able to register yourself voluntarily with Ofsted (which, if your friend's workplace does a salary voucher scheme, could help her with costs)

- think v carefully about how running about with a 7+ yr old really does fit with a little baby

- how close are you and your friend really? Eg have you weathered a big serious disagreement before and stayed close? Can you laugh about things that go wrong? As you do, I think, have to anticipate that there will one day be something that goes wrong and you don't want to lose a friendship.

Anyway, you sound lovely, and if it works it would be wonderful. I think a 7yo girl would love having a baby around too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now