Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

mums - beware unregistered CMs fishing for work on mumsnet

(14 Posts)
wheeler Sun 03-Aug-08 21:49:56

hi all -
i'm a mum currently looking for childcare. i've found advice and contacts on mumsnet very useful, but recently contacted someone who was offering to look after children via this talkboard and after a few emails and avoiding the question they turned out to be an unregistered CM. it is illegal for unregistered people to look after children (who are not related to them i think), and surely very foolish to think about getting involved in that kind of arrangement anyway. so if you do contact someone do ask them if they're registered and at some stage ask to see their actual paperwork. good look if you're searching too...

jillyj Sun 03-Aug-08 22:01:00

hiya. sorry to hear this has happened to you.does anyone agree we should name and shame?

Pip51 Sun 03-Aug-08 22:14:05

They should be named.Registered childminders have to work hard to comply with Ofsted standards and children need safe and proper care.

KatyMac Sun 03-Aug-08 22:15:37

They may be looking for work as a nanny/mother's help (whih isn't registered)

HumphreyPillow Sun 03-Aug-08 22:15:55

have you reported their thread to MNHQ?

maybe add a post to it too - so everyone knows the score.

ScottishMummy Sun 03-Aug-08 22:33:15

Ofsted search for childminders in your area by postcode
info about registered childminders

yes make sure your CM is registered,safe,accountable

KatyMac Sun 03-Aug-08 22:34:41

Actually that is quite scary - MN implies trust

ScottishMummy Sun 03-Aug-08 22:41:29

at the end of day though MN is an anonymous discussion forum.one needs to exercise caution

and there isn't too much caution with your most precious asset your child

i guess being vigilant and self regulating discussing "near-misses" like this
some time ago there was lots of irregular selling, fraudulent transactions going on. it was extensively discussed and flagged up

wheeler Sun 03-Aug-08 22:42:57

Message withdrawn

JenniPenni Sun 03-Aug-08 22:47:07

Oh this is not good!

This is why I insist my parents see my registration certificate on their first meeting (as well as liability insurance CRB checks etc.)... good for you for noticing this! As with any job I guess there there are those that try and cheat the system.

ScottishMummy Sun 03-Aug-08 22:49:41

is this it?wheeler your recent MN posts

nannynick Sun 03-Aug-08 23:12:20

I'd say it is worth posting their username.
However, make sure they were offering to Childmind, not to care for your child at your home (as that would be legal).

As with any advert, be it on a website or in print media - always check the advertisers credentials. Legitimate childcare providers will be happy to show you loads of paperwork (registration certificate, training courses, policies etc).

wheeler Mon 04-Aug-08 08:30:56

she was def offering to CM, in her home

it doesn't come up in my recent posts, as i think i didn't post i just copied her email from a thread. i just had another good look and can't find it. i'll keep looking...

at least i'll be careful about paperwork now, as i must say i had been thinking of it as a bit of a formality

happyfaceschildcare Mon 04-Aug-08 16:34:31

As a registered childminder myself I find this appauling as we have to work hard at filling our vacancies and people like this are giving childminders a bad name ! always make sure you see their certificate mine is always on display as is my insurance and my exam certificates and if you're in any doubt contact ofsted 08456404040 they will be able to clarify any questions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now