Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

EYFS and medication policy

(5 Posts)
ladylipgloss Thu 31-Jul-08 17:38:06

Hi, has anybody reviewed their policy on medication for EYFS? I had my first aid course at the weekend with MNT, and trainer said that it's no good just having 1 permission slip signed to give it whenever needed and that written permission is needed anytime parents expect us to have to administer it. They must let us know when the last dose was taken. He also said that we could txt parents on day we think child needs and parents must txt back to confirm ok and then sign when they collect the child. I don't know how to word my policy on this now. can anybody help!!

BoysAreLikeDogs Thu 31-Jul-08 17:43:12

Haven't yet redone mine.

Currently it says something like non-prescribed medicines as per blanket permission, plus I get email/verbal/text permission on the day and record in my Medicines Administered Book; for precribed medicines I get a daily written permission form and staple to my Book, and record as usual.

Watching with interest.

london11 Thu 31-Jul-08 20:10:40

My policy says:

Medicine should only be bought into the setting when essential. Medicines must always be provided in the original container with the instructions for administration and should preferably have been prescribed by a doctor, dentist or pharmacist.

Prior written permission from parents/carers is a mandatory requirement for any medicines to be given to a child.

Then each time a medicine needs to be given a form is filled in (NCMA medication form)that asks for date/time last dose, name of medicine, dosage and signature from cm and parent then date/time I gave and initialed by cm and parent.

changedmenameforthis Sat 02-Aug-08 12:24:11

at recent save guarding children training (child protection that was), level 3, we were told from sept under no circumstances should we administer any medicans (inc calpol) that had not been prescribed by a gp. even if a very high temp ect, no amount of txt etc permission would cover, we should take child asap to hospital. stupid but ap we will all be in serious trouble if we dont abide by it all..

jillyj Sat 02-Aug-08 12:45:18

we were told this too. its all madness.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now