Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

I'm finishing as a CMer this week to go on maternity leave, i'd like to make their last day a bit special...

(12 Posts)
ellideb Wed 30-Jul-08 22:11:49

does anyone have any ideas? Shall I make a cake, by gifts etc?

NotQuiteCockney Wed 30-Jul-08 22:35:39

DS2 just finished at the nursery last week, and the nursery manager made a book with him - photos of him, text by him, drawings by him. He loves the book, and it's a great memento. There are pictures of his friends, etc etc.

kkey21 Thu 31-Jul-08 10:07:05

I finished the week before last and i made a little bag of gifts for the child (i had only one by then so the cost wasn't too bad)
I took my son to ELC and he and i chose some gifts (story books/Cd, music, fuzzy felt, lacing cards, bubbles etc etc....) all the things the child has enjoyed here, and popped them into a lovely big gift bag topped with shredded paper....
I know i didnt have too but wanted too as she has been such a lovely child over the last 18mths we have had her.....
The total value was really good as they had a sale on and her Mum was very grateful...

I also included a collage of photos....

This was just what i did but i guess any more than one child wouldnt be cost effective so how about a little tea party/lunch with a few fun games and send the photos on to the parents at a later date?

(Enjoy Mat leave!) xxxx

ellideb Thu 31-Jul-08 10:17:26

I was thinking about doing a little bag of goodies, its a good idea! I've got two boys aged nearly 5 and 6 and a little baby nearly 1. I might do the bags for the boys, any ideas for the little baby?

I'm totally skint though so I'm quite limited! I also havnt taken many photos because I havnt been doing it for long (before I got preggers!) so can't really get any piccies together.

I also have them on their own on different days so I don't think a tea party/lunch thingie would be much fun without other kiddies there to play games with. hmmmm.

Thankx re mat leave btw! really looking forwards to it!

OFSTEDoutstanding Thu 31-Jul-08 17:53:23

You are very kind to want to do something for the children can I ask how long you are having off and if the mindees are coming back to you afterwards?
The reason I ask this is I am due to give birth in 4 weeks but working right up til labour and only taking 2 weeks off if all goes to plan (I have 1 full time mindee and the rest are afterschoolies) Haven't even considered doing anything for them as some people take longer holidays but maybe I should what do you think?

SimpleAsABC Thu 31-Jul-08 18:03:54

OFSTEDOUTSTANDING, could you do something like send the kids a card after the first week from you and your new dc? With a pic on the front of the new baby? Just a brief we can't wait to see you type thing.

I think that'd be adequate, altho I appreciate doing something like that is adding to everything you'll already have on your plate @ that time!

ellideb Thu 31-Jul-08 18:06:41

Hi there Ofsted, I've finished today to begin maternity leave and I am due mid september. I will be taking 9mths off paid maternity allowance and no the mindees won't be coming back to me for various reasons on both sides, none negative I might add!

I take my hat off to you being able to work till your due date, then returning after 2 weeks! Personally I think you are crazy! wink I'm bleeding knackered and wish I had finished sooner.

I don't want to go back straight away because I would like to spend the time just me and my baby. When I do go back to it in May I will be just taking on pre-schoolers, no after schoolies. So I'll have a max of 3 kiddies altogether.

Is this your 1st baby btw? If you are only taking such a short break and are having them back afterwards then no, I wouldn't get them anything, it should be the other way around! As it happens, after the advice on this thread I bought them a goodie bag each with things I know they would enjoy in them i.e cheap tat!

OFSTEDoutstanding Fri 01-Aug-08 09:42:57

No this is my 2nd baby and I am only taking 2 weeks off as I can't afford to take any extra time! The famiies I look after would go elsewhere and there is a huge shortage of families around here for each cm. At the mo the council are offering full day care 10-4 with activities for 50p, need I say more! I really don't want them back so quickly am secretly hoping I have to have cs so can take off a bit longer wink

dmo Fri 01-Aug-08 09:48:33

50p shock

ellideb Fri 01-Aug-08 10:13:02

Poor you, and with that sort of competition too! Shocking! I don't mean to pry into your financial business but you do know that you can get maternity allowance from the government don't you? It's about £118 per week for up to 9 mths. I know that its not neary enough for some people who are used to getting more so would therfore be unable to accept it but it is something, and you do deserve some time off. sad

OFSTEDoutstanding Sat 02-Aug-08 11:48:35

I can no way survive for any length of time on £118 and enquiries for possible new mindees have completely dried up. It is ridiculous you do all that OFSTED ask jump through hoops backwards, get an outstanding on your report and still can't find any mindees to fill spaces. Don't dare take off any more than a couple of weeks as they would go elsewhere leaving me with no mindees at all! Was seriously thinking about giving up once ds started school in couple years but will definitely be doing it now for at least the next 5 to stay at home with dd as well

ellideb Sat 02-Aug-08 14:07:14

Yes, I was told that they were crying out for childminders, they were always getting parents ringing them up, desperate etc etc a 2 months after registering, the tumbleweed was still blowing through!

The biggest reason I'm doing it is so that I can afford to stay at home and watch my children growing up. Don't know if I'll still be enjoying it 5 years down the line though smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now