Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Temp. childcare to cover birth of DC3 - what am I looking for?

(9 Posts)
Turniphead1 Wed 30-Jul-08 19:40:20

I am really confused... I am due on Xmas eve with DC3. Other two are 2 and 4.

Because of the time of year - I am quite concerned about cover to look after my DC when we are both at the hospital. The majority of our friends will be home in Ireland for two weeks over that period, so thats not an option. I will have cover for about a week over xmas and new year when my lovely Sis comes over to stay.

Basically I would like someone to help me for the month of December with the DC, doing school drop for eldest and helping entertain youngest - and also doing the tea, bath, pjs bit that I find really hard at 36 weeks. And for them either to live in or be on call to come and stay overnight if the birth happens early or after my sister has left. I would then like the same amount of help from 1st/ 2nd week of jan til end of Feb. There would be some taking the newborn out on the buggy perhaps, but mainly I would be looking after newborn, obv.

But i don't know what kind of person to adverstise for?
Do I need a mother's help (but they seem to rarely to live in) or a nanny. I also thought maybe a nanny who wanted her first bit of newborn work to start training as a maternity nurse (although that element might be a bit limited for them ). I am also unsure whether my timescales will fit. Would someone be prepared to be "on call" in the run up (but excluding Xmas week)?

Anyway, I am rambling - but any help most welcome.

Diane73 Wed 30-Jul-08 20:46:20

Hi,
I run a childcare agency and would suggest that you get a temp nanny who would be willing to stay over- much easier than having someone to live in! If you need any help my web is www.supernannies-agency.co.uk

amazonianadventure Wed 30-Jul-08 23:02:30

A POSTNATAL DOULA?

Turniphead1 Thu 31-Jul-08 09:48:25

Thanks Diane and Amazon. I had thought of a doula - but I don't think the hours (early in am plus bathtime etc) would suit most, nor being on hand to mayge stay over two nights. Most doulas I know have their own children and work round them. Also - the time period is quite long. Hmmm. Nanny seems the best route I guess.

imananny Thu 31-Jul-08 10:07:36

Congratulations smile

agree a temp nanny - I have done temping in the past, and normally worked on a month by month basis,depending on the circumstances of why the family needed a temp nanny , plus then agency could plan work for me.

several agencies have perm temps nannies

sure you will be able to find someone easily - def worth joining agencies, and maybe booking your temp in beg sept, as quite possibly she may be booked up for a few weeks/months

Turniphead1 Thu 31-Jul-08 10:14:37

Im a nanny - thanks! That was a question I forgot to ask - when to start looking. Great, thanks.

imananny Thu 31-Jul-08 10:33:42

welcome - if you didnt want to pay the agency fees (think it was about £60 a week) to find a temp nanny for my local agencies, though if you do a month, you can get a better deal iykwim

then you could try advertising NOW on www.gumtree.com or www.nannyjob.co.uk or www.netmums.co.uk

I have got ads on these sites and I get many inquiries from them - there might be a nanny who is leaving her job about then, or a student finished college for xmas etc who might be interetsed

45nanny Thu 31-Jul-08 10:39:15

Where are you Turniphead1?

Turniphead1 Thu 31-Jul-08 10:45:42

North London (near Crouch End). Good spot as seem to be plenty of nanny agencies etc. I have just never employed a nanny or anyone like that - thus the cluelessness.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now