Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Care for ds1 while giving birth to dc2

(9 Posts)
nocluemum Wed 30-Jul-08 18:14:17

I am jumping ahead here (about 9 months minium). I have a ds who is 14 months and we are trying for number 2. We are just about to move to a new place and know nobody. Family are all a bit odd and wouldnt trust them to look after ds for more than an hour and def not when I give birth. thereofre I want to know if there is a company that offer people to come and live in my house at fairly short notice (if need be) to look after my ds while I am at hospital. Hopefully in new town I will make new friends etc so I can sort out some sort of care that way but just wondered if there was another sort of solution. any advice gratefully received....

nannynick Wed 30-Jul-08 18:37:28

A nanny agency may be able to provide a temporary live-in or daily nanny.

lindseyfox Wed 30-Jul-08 18:58:04

Maybe when you first move contact an agency for a nanny/babysitter who could maybe do one saturday afternoon a month for you and odd babysitting, then be available when you go to give birth that way you and your son will have got to know somebody.

equally why not go to some mother and toddler groups to make friends one of them may become a friend who you could rely on.

yes you could contact an agency for a temp nanny but you would prob want to book them for a month 2wks before and 2wks after due date and can you afford that really.

snice Wed 30-Jul-08 19:00:29

Or have a home birth ?

lindseyfox Wed 30-Jul-08 19:04:55

thats a good idea snice

amazonianadventure Wed 30-Jul-08 23:04:17

a doula?

nocluemum Thu 31-Jul-08 00:47:09

Did consider a home birth only for this reason but its something I have never been absolutely keen on although do want to find out mroe about it. Daft question amazonian and I know I read about them all the time but what is a doula!

love2sleep Thu 31-Jul-08 08:41:49

Best option would be to try and make lots of nice helpful local friends. IME most mums are VERY helpful in this situation.

amazonianadventure Thu 31-Jul-08 10:49:05

A doula to be honest is what you want her to be or at least i am, Some doulas focus on being a birth partner to support you but n happy some are more than happy to stay at home with your other kids.Postnatal doulas are very flexible and will do what ever you throw at us- light housework,picking up kids from school,cooking meals etc etc,you should contact a few and see if they would do the above.

Try a trainee they will be more flexible

details can be found on www.doula.org.uk

hope this helps

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now