Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminders - what do you do when you need to go to a doctors/dentist appointment?

(12 Posts)
KaySamuels Wed 30-Jul-08 10:10:56

I have to take ds to docs, and have also booked an appointment for myself straight after.

Have never had to go before whilst childminding, do you take mindees with you (with parent's permission)? Or take time off (parent's would not be happy) and would be a faff all round.

Will have an 8yr old, and possibly a 1yr old so manageable.

Not sure what to do for best. Appointments are mid afternoon on Friday so need to decide and tell parents.

busymum1 Wed 30-Jul-08 10:13:58

take with you but explain to parents first I often have to do this as ds2 has health issues if not I would be letting parents down the children also enjoy a visit and can become part of their eyfs as is part of the community

giddly Wed 30-Jul-08 10:19:10

My CM takes my daughter with her. I certainly have no problem with it - all part of family life.

jillyj Wed 30-Jul-08 10:31:54

i ask permission and take them with me. only ever happed a couple of times

KaySamuels Wed 30-Jul-08 10:47:41

ok that's great will mention it to parents then smile

Never come up before as I say and definately not something I want to do regularly but I may have more appointments coming up so good to know how everyone juggles things!

dmo Wed 30-Jul-08 10:51:28

i have taken the children to the dentist for a check up and they were fine and watched me in the big chair
think its a good exp seeing other people in the dentist when they dont have to go it gets them used to it

squirrel42 Wed 30-Jul-08 12:46:11

I would think most parents would be much happier for you to take the kids with you than have to take a morning off work themselves!

Word of warning; don't be tempted to ask a receptionist/nurse to keep an eye on a littlie in the waiting room while you have a check up. That sort of situation has come up with Ofsted before and they look upon it as you leaving the child with a random, unchecked stranger even if it's a medical person who is bound to have had CRB checks etc done! Always take them in with you.

Fadge Wed 30-Jul-08 13:14:24

Depending on what the ages of the children wer, what was being dicussed, ie wouldn't be wanting a smear doing with a 9yo boy mindee in the room, or talking about intimate stuff with a child present old eough to understand and repeat!

It's not yet come up with me, but I am sure most parents would rather you take them with you than god forbid they have to take time off.

KaySamuels Wed 30-Jul-08 17:47:10

Don't worry fadge nothing intimate/ embarassing/ etc.

Would take them all in with me anyway, I would just worry if they weren't in my sight/hearing.

BoysAreLikeDogs Wed 30-Jul-08 17:49:23

Have taken mindees to Dr/Nurse, keep 'em with me for consultation.

Never had problems with parents objecting.

HTH

aGalChangedHerName Wed 30-Jul-08 17:51:12

I would take them with you. On occasion (ie smear test etc)i ask parents permission for my friend (also registered cm) to sit with mindees in waiting room. She is also my emergency cover and known to my parents.

Nobody has ever had a problem with it.

chel86 Wed 30-Jul-08 20:59:10

I've taken mindee's to DR with me and on the one occasion it was inappropriate for them to come in with me my CM friend came with me and sat in reception with the mindees (with parents consent).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now