Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

EYFS again! How many photos a week/ obs do we have to do a week?

(11 Posts)
Ripeberry Tue 29-Jul-08 19:54:19

Hi, just been speaking to our new playleader for our pre-school and she is very exited about it all.
She says she needs two cameras that we (the committee) have to provide her with.
Just want to know how on earth are they going to manage, taking loads of photos ALL day of almost 20 kids between the 3/4 of them?
Then i start thinking of what childminders are asked to do as well.
Can anyone tell me what is the bare minimum of photos a week?
Or is it only when they do something interesting?

Fadge Tue 29-Jul-08 19:57:15

I don't have EYFS as in Scotland, but I do take pics of anything of note, just for evidence, also to give the parents copies on CD to keep, and then if EYFS or something similar comes in at some point in future, I have a head start!

I take pics of daily routines being carried out ( washing hands, brushing teeth) these only need doing once really, and then each activity, or new place we go, or new toys they are playing with, new skills to show off, I maybe take 20 photos a week?

Love2bake Tue 29-Jul-08 19:57:50

I just did the EYFS course and I was told that one observation with one photo every 6 weeks would be perfectly reasonable.

KaySamuels Tue 29-Jul-08 20:00:18

...watching with interest.. grin

I am a cm, as far as I know there are no hard and fast rules, you just have to demonstrate that you are observing, recording develop, planning next steps, etc.

Fadge, is that amount per child or in total? I take pics now but very sporadically.

Fadge Tue 29-Jul-08 20:05:29

oh in total.

southernbelle77 Tue 29-Jul-08 20:16:17

I take photos of mindees when I see fit - if we are doing something that I think the parents would like to see, that shows a new skill, and for observations for me. I would say I probably take at least 1 photo a week of my mindees although sometimes more, sometimes less. I have just starting taking a few more and writing more observations, but reading it only has to be 1 photo in six weeks makes me feel better that what I am doing is more than enough

Ripeberry Wed 30-Jul-08 09:57:06

Thanks for all your replies, glad we don't have to take so many photos as it would cost the committee a fortune! But yes its nice to print them off at the end of the year for the parents to take away in a folder.

dmo Wed 30-Jul-08 12:07:04

could you not just print them from the printer onto normal paper?

EYFS have asked for an observation to cover the 6 areas once a month (so that is 6 small observations) then 1 learning story once a term

by the end of the year you should have 12 observations and 3 learning stories

for the observations each month i have made a chart spilt into the 6 different areas and have done a small obsevation such as bill was able to climb up the slide un aided today then i would have a picture of bill on the slide and write up the next steps

per month i would prob inc 3 photos of the child for evidents

KatyMac Wed 30-Jul-08 12:56:49

6 once a month or once a term?

Love2bake Wed 30-Jul-08 13:28:12

I have been told that 1 photo / 1 obs every 6 weeks. You will find that 1 obs will cover more than one area anyway.

There are no rules as to how many and how often you do these obs.

dmo Wed 30-Jul-08 16:27:25

as always with ofsted there is no one rule its all to loose for me one person says this and another says that
why cant they just say what they want!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now