Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

I can't find my childminder

(18 Posts)
ApuskiDusky Tue 29-Jul-08 18:18:39

Ds is due to start at a CM in 3 weeks, and I go back to work in 4 weeks. Everything was set up and contracts signed months ago. We agreed that I would get in touch nearer the time to organise a few settling in days in the weeks leading up to formal start.

But - I have been trying to get hold of the CM for the last 4 weeks without success. No response to answer machine messages, I've even gone round to the house and no answer. I had been assuming she was on holiday, then getting a little puzzled about the length of time, but foolishly mentioned it to my boss because I can't now do a keep in touch day at work (no CM!) and she is amazed I'm not panicking and finding someone else.

How does it sound to you?

amazonianadventure Tue 29-Jul-08 18:31:21

If you have signed contracts well i would imagine she has to honour it,although it does sound as if she is trying to avoid you.
I would probably start looking for a new one to be honest if she is this unrelable before she starts do you really want to use her?

ElfOnTheTopShelf Tue 29-Jul-08 18:35:02

very long holiday?

NorthernLurker Tue 29-Jul-08 18:35:38

Do you really want to leave your child with someone who can't even respond to an answerphone message? Write her a letter and pput it through the door saying that if you haven't heard from her about settling in routine by x date your contract will be null and void. What does she think she's playing at?

Fadge Tue 29-Jul-08 19:30:14

Very strange..

I think you should be looking for someone else by now, if you have tried for a month to get hold and left numerous messages, and been round too, there's not much else you can do.

If you do that though I would write to the old CM to cancel seeing as you have signed contracts.

imananny Tue 29-Jul-08 20:04:53

does seem a little strange - 4weeks of trying is a long time, 2 weeks fair enough, might be on holiday etc

write a note through door and say that if you havent heard from her you assume your relationship (if that is the right rord) is over, and you will be looking for other childcare

where did you hear about her? from friends/word of mouth etc - can you contact them?

def worth looking for new childcare, as others have said how hard it is to return a phone call, and she does seem a little unreliable

southernbelle77 Tue 29-Jul-08 20:22:56

I would have thought that even if she was on hoilday for a long period, she would have contacted you before hand to let you know. Did you have to pay a retainer or deposit?

I would suggest you did look for something else, but like the others have said, put a note through the door saying what you intend to do.

ApuskiDusky Tue 29-Jul-08 20:26:18

Trying not to panic - 3 weeks to find something else!! I don't know why I wasn't that worried, this just didn't seem like the person I met.

Aargh! I started looking in January and signed contracts in April so that it would all be sorted out well in advance!

ApuskiDusky Tue 29-Jul-08 20:29:05

No, no retainer or deposit, which I thought was quite generous at the time as she had the space then.

And breathe....

EachPeachPearMum Tue 29-Jul-08 20:52:43

Sorry- I have no advice on this, but your username has had me singing all evening!
Made me feel 6 years old again.... I had completely forgotten that song- thanks for making me smile smile

hellybell Wed 30-Jul-08 09:05:57

Just to say that I received an email recently letting me know of 'bogus' parents. They go as far as signing the contracts get everything set up, then disappear!!!
We have been told that they think the parents what OFSTED numbers to try and claim beneifits - BE VERY CAREFUL!!

ApuskiDusky Wed 30-Jul-08 09:22:59

Thanks hellybell, I think I have to start looking elsewhere, but will hold off committing as long as I can and still keep trying to track her down, and then I just have to see what's been going on. It hopefully won't be an issue as I haven't claimed any benefits - haven't even sorted out my learning vouchers yet!

Fadge Wed 30-Jul-08 13:16:11

Hellybell, the Childminder cannot claim any payments, it is all down to the parents to do so, so your warning is a little strange?

PinkChick Wed 30-Jul-08 14:18:04

i was thinking that? it wont affect the parent?

ApuskiDusky Wed 30-Jul-08 14:54:15

I read it that my CM might think I am a bogus parent if I go elsewhere, and try to report me?

BettySpaghetti Wed 30-Jul-08 14:59:46

I would go round to the house again and if there is no answer then knock on the neighbours door.

If you explain who you are and why you need to get hold of her then they may be aware of them being on an extended holiday/being way due to family crisis etc and tell you.

theirmum Wed 30-Jul-08 15:06:49

My first thought is it I cant get in touch with the childminder for 4 weeks leaving messages etc would I then be confident in leaving my DS/DD with her?! my answer would be NO! This lady knows when your starting work and knows that your child would need settling in days starting from now so if she was going on an extended holiday had family comitments she sould of at least sent you aletter explaining - What happens in a few weeks if you find her and sort things out and you try and drop your child off but no answer I would be seriously looking for someone else a tad more reliable!

PinkChick Wed 30-Jul-08 15:23:29

if theres no answer and no reply id be inlcined to think something had happend to her/one of her family?

id go along and speak to neighbour if you get no answer?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now